Salamanca Place Precinct Upgrade
The City of Hobart will be conducting upgrade works on the precinct connecting Salamanca Place to Hobart’s waterfront from April 2019. The area houses major hospitality and retail activity, as well as being home to Salamanca Market.
The $3.5 million upgrade will give the area a fresh, contemporary feel and provide a high-quality, safe and accessible space for everyone. The project will be delivered in stages over the next three years.
The upgrade is part of the Inner City Action Plan, which contains a selection of key recommendations from the Gehl Architects Report, ‘Hobart 2010 Public Spaces and Public Life – a city with people in mind’. The recommendations aim to attract people and activity into Hobart and to create a vital, dynamic city centre.
The first stage of the project was completed in 2017, with the widening and upgrade of the Salamanca Place footpath between Gladstone Street and Montpelier Retreat.
Some of the main changes include:
- closing the existing southbound one-way road that runs from Morrison Street to Montpelier Retreat through the Salamanca Lawns and rebuilding the flat area of the Salamanca Lawns to make it more accessible and suitable for special events
- making the existing curved two-lane, one-way road connecting Gladstone Street to Morrison Street a two-way road for motorists driving between Morrison Street and Salamanca Place to improve traffic flow and reduce confusion for both motorists and pedestrians at a number of intersections
- rebuilding the intersection at Salamanca Place and Montpelier Retreat and the footpath on Salamanca Place between Montpelier Retreat and Kennedy Lane to make the area safer for pedestrians
- enhancing connection between Salamanca Place and the waterfront by installing new zebra crossings to give pedestrians priority
- adding more seating and bicycle parking
- increasing safety in the area through improved lighting and CCTV capability
- introducing vehicular protection devices including impact absorbing bollards and solid art installations to create a safer environment for the Salamanca Market
- upgrading bicycle infrastructure, bus stops and shelters
- adding public artwork, new trees,plants and street furniture.
Download the frequently asked questions(PDF, 222KB).
The Concept Plan for the project can be downloaded here: Salamanca Pedestrian Works – Concept Plan(PDF, 672KB)
You can download a series of visualisations of how the project would look once constructed here: Salamanca Pedestrian Works – Visulisations(PDF, 4MB)
Fund more background information in the City Infrastructure Committee Report - 21 March 2018(PDF, 44MB)
Salamanca Place, Battery Point 7004 View Map