Pests and vermin

If you have pests or vermin on your private land (such as rats, mice, wasps and bees) you should contact a pest controller to remove or manage them.

The City of Hobart does not offer any pest or vermin control services on private land or inside private residences; however, we do carry out a baiting and monitoring program to control rats on public land within the municipal area.

If you see pests or vermin on public land, you can let us know by completing the form online or filling in the form(PDF, 44KB) and returning it in one of the following ways:

  • email:
  • post: City of Hobart, GPO Box 503, Hobart Tasmania 7001
  • in person: Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. 


Rabbits are classified as vermin in Tasmania under the Vermin Control Act 2000. It is the responsibility of every occupier of land to suppress and destroy vermin.

For any concerns relating to rabbits on private land please contact the Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment on 03 6233 6884.

More information

View more information on our rabbit control program page.

See also Department of Primary Industries, Parks, Water and Environment page on rabbit control measures