As hot, dry summers continue to arrive early, it is critical people in Hobart have a bushfire plan, clean up their gardens and prepare their property well ahead of every bushfire season.
Stay up-to-date on current emergency warnings and information on the TasALERT website:
You can also prepare for upcoming danger using the Tasmania Fire Service's (TFS) four day Fire Danger Rating forecast.
In a life threatening emergency, call Triple Zero - 000
Before a bushfire
If you live in or near bushland, it's important to have a plan to protect yourself and your family from bushfire.
Is your property within a 'bushfire prone' area?
Check Tas Alerts RiskReady and enter your address to find out:
Prepare now for bushfire
With a bushfire plan in place, you can ensure that you and your family survive the fire.
Create your Bushfire Plan
There are also steps you can take to prepare your home and improve its chances of surviving bushfire. Detailed information and tips can be found on the Bushfire: Why risk it? website.
During a bushfire
- Put your Bushfire Plan into action.
- Leave early, and go to a safer place away from bushfire risk areas.
- Stay connected to the latest information (see below).
Get the right information
In any bushfire event, make sure you are getting your information from the right sources. Be careful not to share unconfirmed information or advice from non-official channels.
The most reliable sources of information in a bushfire are:
After a bushfire
- Check information updates
- Keep wearing protective clothing
- Keep checking for embers after the fire front as passed
- Take care around trees, branches and trees can fall without warning.