Overgrown vegetation

Overhanging vegetation can pose a problem for pedestrians and motorists. 

Property owners are responsible for ensuring that vegetation, including any tree, hedge or shrub doesn’t extend beyond their boundary and encroach onto public footpaths and public right-of-ways, or obstruct the view of motorists.

Under the Local Government (Highways) Act, we can issue a property owner with a written request to tend to overgrown vegetation. Property owners are given a timeframe, not being less than 14 days, to address the overgrown vegetation

If the property owner fails to do so, we may carry out the work and invoice the property owner.

You can contact us about overgrown vegetation by emailing coh@hobartcity.com.au or call us on 03 6238 2711