Being a responsible dog owner is more than making sure your dog can be identified with a collar, registration tag and microchip, although these actions are important.
Other ways you can be a responsible dog owner include:
- making sure your dog is registered with the City so it can be identified if it becomes lost;
- keeping your dog in your yard with secure fencing;
- desexing your dog if it is not going to be used to breed;
- always keeping your dog on a lead in public, unless in an off-lead area;
- always cleaning up after your dog;
- keeping your dog under control in public and in off-lead areas;
- taking your dog to obedience training;
- providing your dog with regular health care; and
- providing a healthy, balanced diet with cool, clean water available at all times.