Eligible pensioners may receive a rates rebate
- State government: 30%
- The 2023-24 maximum cap for the Pensioner Rates Remission is $542 for pensioners who are not a customer of TasWater, and $368 for those who are a customer of TasWater.
- State Fire Commission: 20% (of the fire service rate)
- City of Hobart: $10
Pension cards eligible for a discount
- Centrelink or Department of Veterans' Affairs Pensioner Concession Card
- Centrelink Health Care Card
- Department of Veterans' Affairs 'Gold Card' endorsed with TPI or War Widow
The card holder must be legally responsible for the rates on the property and it must be the card holder's main residence. In the case of joint ownership, at least one of the owners must meet the eligibility criteria. There is a limit of one remission per year, per pensioner household.
Pensioners who received a remission last year should automatically receive a remission this year. This will appear as a reduction on the rates notice.
Any pensioner who has not previously received a remission must have a current Pensioner Concession Card dated on or before 1 July 2023, and should complete an online remission application form after 1 July 2023 and before 31 March 2024. You will need to upload a copy of your current concession card to this application.
Please note: these rebate provisions are detailed under the Local Government (Rates and Charges Remissions) Act 1991 (Tas). Eligibility of a pensioner remission is determined by the state government's Department of Treasury and Finance.
Pensioners with a Commonwealth Seniors card or who are members of the Independent Retirees (that are not already receiving the state government pensioner remission) are eligible for the $10 remission from the City of Hobart. To apply for this remission you can complete the online application form. You will need to upload a copy of your current card (Commonwealth Seniors card or Independent Retirees).