If you are being affected by intense lighting in and around your property, we can investigate the situation.
Light nuisances are investigated, and any action will depend on:
- the intensity of the light
- the duration and rate of emission of the light
- the sensitivity of the environment and the impact of the light.
Resolving light nuisance concerns may not be straightforward, and it can be a time-consuming process.
We investigate concerns caused by light as an environmental nuisance, which is defined in the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994 as ‘the emission, discharge, depositing or disturbance of a pollutant that unreasonably interferes with, or is likely to unreasonably interfere with, a person’s enjoyment of the environment’. If a source of lighting is having an extremely negative impact on you it may be considered to be a nuisance.
If you would like to let us know about an intrusive light you can do so by submitting the form online or filling in the form(PDF, 46KB) and returning it in one of the following ways:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- post: City of Hobart, GPO Box 503, Hobart Tasmania 7001
- in person: Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, Hobart.
Do not use this form for complaints about street lighting – these can be made on our street lighting page.