BBQ and park bookings

We recently moved sportsground bookings to their own page: Sportsground bookings

BBQ and park bookings

The City of Hobart offers the ability to reserve some of our parks, BBQs and facilities for your event.

All bookings made are subject to availability, approval and confirmation. Once we receive your application we will let you know if your preferred location and dates are available, or provide advice about alternative options.

For information on other facilities available for hire in Hobart, please see our halls and venues page.

For information on fees and charges please refer to our fees and charges page.

Parks, gardens and reserves

Parks, gardens and reserves bookings

If you would like to make a booking to hold an activity or event in one of the City's parks gardens or reserves, complete the online booking application.

Make a booking application

A printable form is available on our forms page.

It is important to be aware that in addition to any booking fees, you may also be required to pay a bond. Following your event we will conduct an inspection to make sure the park, garden or reserve is tidy and no damage resulting from your event has happened. If we are satisfied with the inspection your bond will be refunded.


Waterworks Site 1

Most of the City's BBQs don't require bookings, and operate on a first-in, first-served basis.

If you would like to reserve a BBQ, there are bookable sites within Waterworks Reserve and Legacy Park.

Waterworks Reserve

There are two undercover BBQ sites at Waterworks Reserve that can be booked.

For further information, including how to make a booking, please see the Waterworks Reserve page:

Waterworks Reserve

Legacy Park

Legacy Park has a large adventure play space that is suitable for children of all ages, plus an accessible community space for barbecues and picnics, an outdoor amphitheatre, two pizza ovens, public toilets and shelters.

There are two undercover BBQ sites available for booking at Legacy Park, as well as a Community Hub which contains wood-fired ovens.

For more information and to make a booking enquiry, please visit the Legacy Park page:

Legacy Park


Cultural Park/North Hobart Skate Park

Skate park facilities

To make a booking for the use of either North Hobart Skate Park or John Doggett Skate Park Skate, complete the online booking application.

Make a booking application

A printable form is available on our forms page.

kunanyi/Mt Wellington observation shelter

Bookings can be made to use the observation shelter located on kunanyi/Mt Wellington. The use of this facility for private events or purposes is not permitted.

To make a booking for the use of the observation shelter, complete the online booking application.

Make a booking application

A printable form is available on our forms page.

Carrying out works, vehicle access , or research

If you want to carry out works in a City of Hobart owned or managed park or reserve you need a permit to do so.

Permit types are:

  • undertake works in a park or reserve
  • vehicle access in a park or reserve
  • undertake scientific research in a park or reserve.

You can apply for these permits on the permits for parks or reserves page.

This also applies to parks, gardens, beaches, waterways, natural and undeveloped land owned by the City of Hobart, and highways. The City of Hobart Public Spaces By-Law 2018 requires that people seek approval to access these spaces, and protects vegetation, wildlife, landform and other assets within these areas.

If you want to carry out an activity that isn't listed and are unsure if the activity requires a permit or booking, please contact us on 03 6238 2711.

Sportsground bookings

If you would like to book a sportsground, please see our dedicated page:

Sportsground bookings

More information

Depending on the type and scale of event, you may require some or all of the following permits:

Fees may apply to each permit and some will need to be obtained from other organisations.

Structures cannot be staked into grass at any location unless approval is obtained from the City. Approval may only be granted in circumstances where there is no other option available other than staking.

As well as a booking application you may also need to provide:

  • evidence of public liability insurance
  • venue or site plan
  • risk management plans
  • security management plans
  • road closure applications
  • traffic management plans.