Elected Member Code of Conduct
The City of Hobart adopted the state government’s Model Code of Conduct, without variation, as its own Code of Conduct on 9 May 2016.
View the City of Hobart Elected Member Code of Conduct(PDF, 630KB).
View the information sheet(PDF, 331KB) about the state government's Model Code of Conduct.
For more information about the Code of Conduct Framework for Tasmanian councillors, visit the Department of Premier and Cabinet website.
The code of conduct framework is legislated under the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act). The Act is available to view at the Tasmanian Legislation Website.
The Code of Conduct outlines the standards of behaviour expected of Aldermen/Councillors of the City in respect to all aspects of their role as elected representatives of the Hobart community.
Application of Standards
The following standards are identified and addressed within the Code:
1. Decision making.
2. Conflict of interest.
3. Use of office.
4. Use of resources.
5. Use of information.
6. Gifts and benefits.
7. Relationships with community, Aldermen and council employees.
Making a Code of Conduct complaint
Any person can make a code of conduct complaint against one Alderman/Councillor in relation to the contravention by the Alderman/Councillor of the council’s Code of Conduct. A complaint must be lodged within six months after the Alderman/Councillor or Aldermen/Councillors against whom the complaint is made allegedly committed the contravention of the code of conduct.
A complaint can be made against more than one Alderman/Councillor if the complaint relates to the same behaviour and the same Code of Conduct contravention. A complaint may not be made by more than two complainants jointly.
Submitting a complaint
1. Complete a Local Government Code of Conduct Complaint Form(PDF, 177KB).
2. Attach to the complaint form a statutory declaration, signed by the complainant or by each complainant, verifying the accuracy of the information contained in the complaint.
3. Pay the code of conduct complaint lodgement fee at the Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, 8.15 am to 5.15 pm, Monday to Friday (except public holidays). The fee is prescribed under Schedule 3 (Fees) of the Local Government (General) Regulations 2015 and is currently $81.00.
4. Lodge the complaint with the General Manager of the City of Hobart in one of the following ways:
- email: email@example.com
- in writing: to the General Manager, City of Hobart, GPO Box 503, Hobart 7001
- in person: Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, Hobart
Once satisfied that the code of conduct complaint meets prescribed requirements, the General Manager is to forward the complaint to the Code of Conduct Panel.