Visitor accommodation

Visitor accommodation

"Visitor accommodation" is the formal way to describe allowing other people (not the owner or a tenant) to stay at a property on a temporary basis. It is also referred to as "short stay accommodation". For example, allowing people to stay at a property after booking through the websites AirBnB or Stayz.

The Tasmanian Government has imposed the planning requirements for visitor accommodation. More information can be found on the Planning in Tasmania website.


How do I apply for visitor accommodation approval?

You can make an application via our online portal.

Development Portal

What if I am part of a strata scheme?

If your property is part of a strata scheme then check your body corporate rules about allowing your property to be used by other people. The Tasmanian Government has provided some information about strata schemes on the Land Tasmania website. The body corporate rules are not relevant to your planning application but they may ultimately prevent you being able to use your property in this way.

What should I include in my planning application?

You must provide us with a copy of the certificate of title for your property. If the property is owned by someone else then you will need to notify them that you intend to make a planning application.

We also encourage you to include a copy of the Building Self-Assessment Form which has been prepared by the Tasmanian Government.

Do I need a visitor management plan?

You may wish to consider proposing a visitor management plan to address the potential for impacting on surrounding properties.

Example visitor management plan(DOCX, 20KB)

It is common for a visitor management plan to be required by a condition of a planning permit allowing visitor accommodation, where the property is part of a strata scheme or the property has a floor area in excess of 200m2.

What are the recent issues with visitor accommodation?

There is some concern that the number of properties which are used for visitor accommodation is contributing to the housing shortage in Hobart.

This has prompted Elected Members to consider:

  • whether there should be a restriction on the ability to be granted a planning permit for visitor accommodation
  • whether properties which are used for visitor accommodation should pay higher rates, compared to properties used for residential purposes.

What changes are proposed to the planning scheme?

This issue was most recently considered:

  1. in a report by Council officers dated 16 March 2022 – read online
  2. at the City Planning Committee meeting on 21 March 2022 – watch online (starting at 1:15:45)
  3. at the Council meeting on 28 March 2022 – watch online (starting at 14:55).

The Council has initiated an amendment to the Hobart Interim Planning Scheme 2015 which will prevent new approvals for visitor accommodation in the following circumstances:

  1. a property is in the General Residential Zone, Inner Residential Zone, or Low Density Residential Zone
  2. a whole dwelling would be used for that purpose (parts of dwellings and ancillary dwellings are not captured by this proposed change).

View the formal proposal.

This proposal has been publicly advertised. Representations have been received by members of the public. They will be considered by the Tasmanian Planning Commission when it assesses the proposed amendment. View a flowchart of the approval process for amendment of interim planning schemes.

When will a decision be made by the Tasmanian Planning Commission?

This will depend on the Commission's capacity and priorities. We anticipate that a decision will be made in the second half of 2022.

Does this impact on my ability to make an application for visitor accommodation now?

No. You can still make an application and it will be assessed under current version of the planning scheme.

What is proposed for a change to rates?

At the meeting on 15 March 2022, the Council passed a motion requiring further advice on the possibility of imposing different rates for properties which are used for visitor accommodation. Watch online (starting at 2:51:06).

The advice will be provided in a report prepared by Council officers, which will be provided to the Council in June 2022.