Smoke from backyard burning can cause adverse public health effects as well as environmental nuisance, which is an offence under the Environmental Management and Pollution Control Act 1994.
An environmental nuisance can be considered if the emission of smoke is to be taken to unreasonably interfere with a person's enjoyment of the environment.
For these reasons the City of Hobart does not recommend burning of any type of waste.
Instead of burning vegetation, waste, green waste or rubbish, we urge all residents to in one of the following ways:
- Private waste removal contractors
- Waste mulching and chipping contractors
- Community groups and service clubs assisting the elderly and infirm.
If neighbours are burning off in their backyards and creating a nuisance, you can report this by completing the form online or filling in the form(PDF, 44KB) and returning it in one of the following ways:
- email: email@example.com
- post: City of Hobart, GPO Box 503, Hobart Tasmania 7001
- in person: Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, Hobart.