Roads and footpaths

Hobart's road network includes:

  • 284 kilometres of sealed roads
  • 6 kilometres of unsealed roads
  • 412 kilometres of footpaths (predominantly asphalt and concrete)
  • 67 bridges (mainly of concrete and steel structures) 

The City of Hobart has an inspection program that is used to identify hazards, such as:

  • uneven footpath surfaces
  • damaged signs
  • potholes
  • trees overhanging the footpath

If you have a request regarding roads or footpaths, or are aware of a hazard within the road and footpath network, please telephone 03 6238 2711 or email


There are several roads in Hobart that are the responsibility of the State Government:

  • the Southern Outlet
  • the Tasman Highway
  • the Domain Highway
  • Brooker Avenue and the Brooker Highway
  • Davey Street and Macquarie Street (from the Southern Outlet to the Brooker Highway).

The City of Hobart is responsible for the nature strips and footpaths beside all of these state roads except the Southern Outlet, which is a State Government responsibility.

Any requests regarding these highways can be directed to the State Government.

Rights of way

The City is not responsible for rights of way on private land. In general, the maintenance and operation of these private rights of way is the responsibility of the land owner or those who have right of access over the land.

Unsealed roads

There are six (6) kilometres of unsealed roads within Hobart's boundaries. The maintenance and upgrading of these roads is the legal responsibility of the land owners who have frontage onto these roads. However, the City of Hobart grades most unsealed roads twice a year (usually in October and May).

If you have a query regarding unsealed roads or are aware of a hazard on an unsealed road please telephone 03 6238 2711 or email

Excavation works by other authorities and contractors

Other authorities, contractors and any individual intending to carry out any works within the City of Hobart's road reservations require approval from Roads and Capital Works. Prior to approving works, we will need to assess the impact works will have on the road and underground assets, motorists, pedestrians and nearby residents. Before you begin any works, a permit to occupy and/or carry out works in a highway is required. A fee will apply to all permits issued.

Application to Occupy and/or carry out works in a Highway (including other required documentation).

Guidelines for Construction Works within Hobart's Road Reservations.

Information regarding fees can be found on our fees and charges page.

If you wish to carry out works in the road reservation please telephone 03 6238 2711 or email

Footpath accessibility

The width and standard of the footpaths in the Hobart municipality varies according to the amount of pedestrian use, the geography of the street and the conflicting needs of other road users.

In general, the City of Hobart aims to provide clear pedestrian widths of:

  • 1–1.2 metres on low pedestrian volume footpaths in non-commercial areas
  • 1.5–1.8 metres on footpaths in commercial areas
  • 2.4 metres on high pedestrian volume footpaths (normally in commercial areas).

Wherever possible, the surface of the footpath is maintained without trip hazards and with a slip resistant surface.

To assist the movement of pedestrians with disabilities, accessible footpaths (those that are not too steep) have kerb ramps with ground surface indicators to assist when crossing intersections.

When appropriate, the City of Hobart permits street trees, advertising signboards, tables and chairs for outdoor dining, and other occupation of the footpath, as long as this does not interfere with the movement of pedestrians.