Working near open waterways

Working near open waterways

Hobart has many natural waterways which make their way from kunanyi/Mt Wellington and surrounds down through the city and into the Derwent Estuary.

Our local rivulets provide drainage, native habitat, recreational value and heritage.

Works or activities near a watercourse or riparian zone

You will need a permit to do any work near a watercourse or riparian zone that involves:

  • altering the bed, banks or flood plains of a water course
  • constructing any structure or otherwise obstructing the flow of water in a watercourse or its flood plain
  • carrying out any earthworks, removing any vegetation or allowing any livestock to graze or remain within the riparian zone or bank of a water course.

To find out if you need planning approval to do your works, a Planning Officer can be contacted by calling 03 6238 2711 or by email at

For works that do not require a planning permit, you will still need to apply for a permit under the City of Hobart's Infrastructure By-Law 2018.

To show that the works will not adversely impact the waterway, a plan showing the proposed works, an environmental management plan, and evidence that the risks and hazards of the works have been considered should be provided with your application. The detail of these plans depends on the level of works occurring. Having an early discussion with us, us will help to make sure that all factors are considered as part of your proposed works and activities.

To make an application under the Infrastructure By-Law, you can complete and submit the online form. A printable form is available on our forms page.

If you would like more information about the Infrastructure By-law or applying to do works in a waterway please phone 03 6238 2711 or email