The City Welcome Volunteer Program offers the opportunity to volunteer at various locations and events operated by the City of Hobart. People from all backgrounds who love to help other people, who are looking for social engagement, and who want to help keep Tasmania safe during the COVID-19 pandemic are encouraged to enquire.
Volunteers provide assistance, advice and a friendly welcome to people visiting the market. The core duties when volunteering at the market are summarised below:
- Greeting visitors as they arrive and thanking visitors as they leave the market.
- Assist with stallholder information such as where to find a specific stall or to find stallholders who sell certain items.
- Escort visitors to stalls and nearby facilities, to bring an enhanced customer experience to the market.
- Assist with general enquiries such as: location of nearby facilities, where is the closest public toilet or ATM and where do I find the Mona ferry terminal.
- Helping reinforce market rules such as dogs and smoking
- Helping out with fun activations such as during Dark Mofo.
Tasmanian Travel and Information Centre
Volunteers provide assistance, advice and a friendly welcome to visiting tourists and a good knowledge and passion for travel is helpful if you wish to volunteer at the Tasmanian Travel and Information Centre. The program provides a 'meet and greet' experience at the Tasmanian Travel and Information Centre, helping with simple visitor enquiries such as with directions or to answer questions about what to see and what to do.
Elizabeth Mall Information Hub
Volunteers provide support to our Travel Advisors by offering general assistance to the public and answering queries on Hobart surroundings and facilities such as:
- Where is a specific car park?
- Where is the nearest ATM?
- Where is the nearest public toilet?
- Where is a specific shop?
- Where do I take lost property?
To fulfil this role, it is essential that you have a good understanding of Hobart surroundings and facilities, as members of the public will approach you to obtain knowledge, to assist with their enquiries and requests.
A temporary suspension has been placed on volunteering at Hobart Airport.
Volunteers provide assistance, advice and a friendly welcome to visitors and a good knowledge and passion for travel is helpful if you wish to volunteer at the Hobart Airport. The program provides a 'meet and greet' experience at Hobart Airport (seven days a week, all year round) and volunteers help with simple visitor enquiries such as questions about the airport services including transport options, directions or questions about what to see and what to do.
A temporary suspension has been placed on volunteering at MAC 02.
Volunteers provide assistance, advice and a friendly welcome to visiting cruise ship visitors during the cruise ship season.
City of Hobart community events
City Welcome volunteers come from a range of backgrounds and offer a range of skills to their volunteering. Our volunteers also develop new knowledge and skills through their volunteer deployments. From time to time, we invite volunteering at City of Hobart community events, particularly around providing a COVID-safe event. These events are diverse, entertaining and fun and a great way to experience a richer side of life in Hobart.
For more information about the City Welcome Volunteer Program, please contact program officer Luke Cazaly at email@example.com or phone 03 6238 2134.