Retaining walls and boundary fences

The City of Hobart is responsible for retaining walls that are within a road reservation.

Boundary fences that are located next to a City of Hobart road, lane way or walkway are the responsibility of the land owner to install and maintain.

For enquiries about fences that are located on the boundary of a City of Hobart road, footpath or lane way or retaining walls that are located within a road reservation please telephone 03 6238 2711 or email

For information about planning guidelines for front, rear and side boundary fences on privately owned land, see the fences page.