A-Z | Site map


Planning is about regulating the use and development of land and resources to meet the future needs of the community.

Planning is vital for the orderly development of housing, business and community services into areas best suited for them. It involves both control of existing and new development, and 'strategic planning' to ensure our resources are carefully managed to match our future needs and expectations. Planning is a dynamic process that is constantly evolving in response to changes within the community.

You can now submit a Planning Appointment request through our online Planning Appointment Form.

Submitting Planning Applications

Planning applications can only be lodged on line:  Submit a planning application online. The online application form will allow you to complete your details, respond to a number of questions, upload documents (note: documents must be in PDF format) and make payment for the application.

If you would like instructions for how to lodge an application online, you can download the user guide here: Online lodgement user guide (PDF)

ePlanning Portal- Access to Advertised Applications

Currently the portal can be used for the purpose of viewing currently advertised applications. Advertised applications can be accessed by clicking "advertised applications" or can be accessed via the e-Services tab above via "applications".

The portal will also enable a search of previous applications submitted to Council via a number of search criteria (application number, address, last month etc.) Please note that applications that are not currently advertised will not display plans and other documentation.

Compliance with Hobart Planning Schemes

Hobart is governed by two planning schemes - the Hobart Interim Planning Scheme 2015 and the Sullivans Cove Planning Scheme 1997 . The assessment process for development applications under these schemes is governed by the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993.

Some of the assessment criteria include:

  • Use: What is the current use of the property? A 'house' is an acceptable use in most zones. Many commercial uses, however, are not permitted in residential zones.
  • Density: Density is determined by assessing floor area in relation to land area.
  • Height: Depending on your location there will be a maximum height requirements applied to your proposal.
  • Siting: Your proposal will be assessed in relation to both height and distance from boundaries.
  • Access and Parking: Most proposals will have a requirement for parking and access, which relates to the use of the property.
  • Heritage: If your property is heritage listed or within a heritage precinct, your proposal will be considered in relation to the impact on the heritage values of the listed property or precinct.
  • Bushland Management: If your property is located in or adjacent to bushland area, a zone where bushland habitat is present, your proposal will be considered in relation to vegetation, fauna, water quality and bushfire issues.
  • Signs: An application is required when a new sign is to be erected or when an existing sign type is replaced. If the face of the sign is changing and dimensions and other features remain unaltered. Council may not require a planning application. To clarify questions relating to signs, advice can be sought by phoning (03) 6238 2715.

Early consultation with Council officers will help to ensure that all factors are considered as part of the project design, and relevant issues are identified and considered at an early stage of the proposal.

Dependant on the type of work that is proposed, up to three development permits may be required from the Council. These are required to be obtained in the following order (if applicable):

  • Planning Permit
  • Plumbing Permit
  • Building Permit (prior to the issue of a building permit, an applicant will need to engage a building surveyor to prepare appropriate documentation, which must then be submitted to Council for administrative purposes)

In many circumstances a building and plumbing application will form part of your development application, however, separate regulations exist which define the work that will require a building and plumbing permit.

The best way to find out is to bring a sketch plan of your proposal into the Hobart Council Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, and talk to a Development Appraisal Planner, or by calling (03) 6238 2715.

For building enquiries, please contact a private building surveyor. For enquiries about building permits lodged with the Council, please contact Council's Permit Co-ordinator on (03) 6238 2946.


The Council employs Cultural Heritage Officers whose roles include:

  • advice to the Council and public regarding Hobart's cultural heritage
  • assistance in assessing planning applications with heritage implications
  • promoting public awareness of the City of Hobart's cultural heritage
  • undertaking research projects.

Customer Service Centre

16 Elizabeth St, Hobart
Office Hours: Mon–Fri 8.15am–5.15pm
Telephone (03) 6238 2711
Email coh@hobartcity.com.au

Postal address

Town Hall, Macquarie St
GPO Box 503
Hobart Tasmania 7001