It is the City of Hobart's policy to lead the way towards achieving a diverse, yet harmonious environment where older people can feel valued and respected for their knowledge, life experiences, skills, stories, history, creativity and wisdom.
The City provides and facilitates a range of programs and activities that support and encourage positive ageing in Hobart. The main focus of its Positive Ageing program is on the provision of activities at Mathers Place. You can find more information on the Mathers Place website here: http://www.mathersplace.com.au
Where are we?
Mathers and Criterion Houses are located at 108 Bathurst Street, close to the Hobart Central Car Park - where the first 90 minutes of parking is free!
The houses are only two blocks away from the Hobart Bus Mall. The facilities are also close to the Hobart LINC, Bathurst Street Post Office and the city centre.
Mathers House is the first building you see when entering Mather's Lane from Bathurst Street. Criterion House is the adjacent building on the opposite side of the lane and is also accessible off Criterion Street from Criterion Lane.
What can you do there?
The below facilities comprise the Mathers Place complex, and are all available for hire after hours and on the weekend.
Mathers House - Main Hall
- The place to come and relax, meet friends, read the newspaper and enjoy a cappuccino, tea or hot chocolate.
- Nourishing 'home cooked' meals are available at reasonable prices from Monday to Friday [Wednesday is light meals only].
- On Wednesdays, light lunches including soup and sandwiches are available.
- A meeting place for groups, for activities such as playing cards, mah-jong or Scrabble (TM), book discussions, creating watercolour masterpieces and much more.
- Music is a feature of this area, with a wide selection of background music to enjoy and on occasions, live music
Mathers House - Multi Purpose Room
- The lower level of Mathers House has recently been upgraded with the addition of an accessible toilet and kitchenette facilities.
- This area can seat up to 50 people and is often used for meetings, craft work exhibitions, yoga and even Indian Classical and Belly Dancing classes.
- A modern multimedia system and electronic whiteboard is available for use by hirers of this room.
- The facility is available for hire after hours and on the weekend.
Criterion House - Nell Pascoe Room
- Criterion House is the building adjacent to Mathers House, just across Mather's Lane and is home to even more activities.
- Suitable for meetings for large groups, with seating for up to 70 being accommodated.
- Kitchen facilities are available for catering and serving of morning / afternoon teas or supper.
- A modern multimedia system is available for use by hirers of this room.
- Groups currently using this area include School for Seniors, ukulele lessons, T'ai Chi, Zumba and Broadway Boogie.
Hours of Opening
The facilities are staffed and open for business from 10.00am till 3.00pm weekdays. Some activities and programs may operate outside these hours.
All positive ageing activities and events are promoted through the City of Hobart's "What's On" newsletter that is produced quarterly.
You can contact Mathers House to have the newsletter posted or emailed to you, or you can view it online : What's On in Positive Ageing - Winter edition
Out and about with Mathers House
Here at Mathers Place, we also engage in outside activities, such as:
- guided tours of historic and heritage sites with expert guides to bring alive our Hobart heritage
- excursions to out door sites and in to the bush to meet other older people and share food and adventures in the bush or the city.
- music concerts and meet the musician opportunities
Mathers House and Criteron House are available for hire each day during and after business hours and on weekends at very reasonable rates. Fees are calculated on a casual or regular basis with preference given to community based activities.
For information relating to hiring of the facilities call Angela on (03) 62341441 or email us at email@example.com
Conditions of Hire Conditions of Hire
Hire Application Form Hire Application Form
What's happening at Mathers Place now?
The following sites gives you an idea of the many activities relating to life long learning, health and well being and arts and creativity which are offered at Mathers Place:
The Mathers Place website - http://www.mathersplace.com.au is the best place to go to find out more about what's happening at Mathers Place.
If you're interested in our current program of activities, you can download it here: What's On in Positive Ageing - Winter edition
Mathers Place is a community space
Do you have ideas for activities for our facilities? Would you like to provide an activity? While the City of Hobart provides the facilities and some activities, we are always looking for partnerships and opportunities to work with groups, organisations or individuals. If your activity fits in with the social inclusion aims of the City of Hobart, we would be keen to talk to you and look at ways in which we may be able to support your activity.
Contact the Mathers/Criterion House Coordinator by:
Telephone (03) 6234 1441
Hobart Older Persons' Reference Group
The Hobart Older Persons' Reference Group (HOPRG) is a group of older people who have an interest in Hobart.
The group see themselves as 'village elders' and are keen to share their wisdom and to harness the wisdom of others in a respectful way.
HOPRG works to build community and social connectedness for older people both locally and throughout Greater Hobart.
HOPRG's mission is to ensure that the voice of older people is heard, and that older people have the opportunity and are encouraged to be included and engaged in their communities.
If you are interested in being a member of HOPRG, please contact Danielle Walker on (03) 6238 2772 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
Links for general information
City of Hobart Positive Ageing Strategy City of Hobart Positive Ageing Strategy
City of Hobart Equal Access Strategy City of Hobart Equal Access Strategy
City of Hobart Social Inclusion Strategy City of Hobart Social Inclusion Strategy
Council on the Ageing
Department of Premier and Cabinet - Older Persons