It is Council policy to lead the way towards achieving a diverse, yet harmonious environment where older people can feel valued and respected for their knowledge, life experiences, skills, stories, history, creativity and wisdom.
The Council conducts a range of programs and activities that support and encourage positive aging. The main focus is the 50 & Better Centre at 108 Bathurst Street, Hobart.
50 & Better Centre - 108 Bathurst Street - Hobart 7000
The Hobart City Council provides the 50 & Better Centre as a place for activities for people aged over 50. Its purpose is to provide:
- a warm, welcoming, cheerful and safe environment
- a wide range of social, recreational, cultural and educational activities; for the older people of greater Hobart
Low cost meals are provided each weekday and the centre is available for hire.
The activities of the Centre are developed in consultation and partnership with individuals, community groups and organisations who have an interest in the well-being of older persons.
A co-ordinator is employed to manage the Centre.
Tourists and visitors are welcome.
Where are we?
The 50 & Better Centre is located at 108 Bathurst Street, close to the Hobart Central Car Park where the first hour of parking is free!
It is two blocks away from the Hobart Bus Mall. The Centre is also close to the State Library, Bathurst Street Post Office and the heart of the city.
What can you do there?
- Call in and relax with a cuppa, enjoy a light snack or a three course 'home cooked' meal
- Participate in a wide range of activities and seminars
- Listen to music, watch TV or a video
- Access the Internet (Wi-Fi)
- Browse in the One Stop Information Shop which has printed information on services and activities in Hobart for the over 50s
What does the Centre Offer?
- A large, sunny, main room on the upper level seating up to 70 people
- A large commercial kitchen
- An activities room on the lower level seating up to 40 people
- Male and female toilets and accessible toilets for people with disabilities
- Level access to the front entrance
- Security lights
- Items such as public address system and a whiteboard can be provided on request
- The 50 & Better Centre is available for hire every day during and after business hours and on weekends at reasonable rates on a casual or regular basis
What's happening at the Centre now?
The following list gives you an idea of the sort of activities which are available:
- Adult Learners' Week activities
- Seniors Week activities
- Seminars on issues such as healthy ageing, safety and security
- Lunch & light refreshments Tuesday to Friday
- T'ai Chi
- FREE Computer Lessons
- Ukulele lessons
- Singing group
- School for Seniors
- Art Classes
It's your Centre
Do you have ideas for activities in the Centre? Would you like to provide an activity? While Council provides the facility and some activities, we don't need to do it all. If your activity fits in with the aims of the Centre, we would be keen to talk to you and look at ways to support your activity.
Contact the Co-ordinator,
Telephone (03) 6234 1441 Fax (03) 6234 1254
It's your Centre in your Community.
Hours of Opening
10.00am till 3.30pm weekdays.
108 Bathurst Street Hobart.
Hobart Older Persons' Reference Group
The Hobart Older Persons' Reference Group (HOPRG) is a group of older people who have an interest in Hobart, see themselves as "village elders", are keen to share their wisdom and to harness the wisdom of others in a respectful way.
HOPRG works to build community and social connectedness for older people both locally and in the city.
HOPRG's mission is to ensure that the voice of older people is heard, and that older people have the opportunity and are encouraged to be included and engaged in their communities.
Links for general information