Doone Kennedy Hobart Aquatic Centre Redevelopment
- Project typeCapital Works
About the project
The Doone Kennedy Hobart Aquatic Centre has been a popular community facility for 23 years.
Following consultation with key stakeholders, a master plan for the redevelopment of the centre was developed and adopted by the Council in May 2017.
Some projects under the master plan have already been completed, and other works presently under way.
However, budget constraints resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic have forced several larger projects to be deferred until such time that the City is in a position to fund the improvements or external funding is secured.
The following works have been completed under the master plan to a total value of $4.1 million:
- new gas boiler and hot water system
- new gym and group training room air conditioning systems
- new solar energy system
- upgraded fire detection and emergency evacuation system
- upgraded spa system
- stage 1 carpark upgrade
- new building management system
- upgraded chemical systems
- plant room equipment upgrade
- architectural redevelopment detailed design.
Currently under way
- new data centre to improve reliability of technology and communication systems – completion due in September 2020
- new double glazing – completion due in November 2020
- leisure pool upgrade including new aquatic play equipment – completion due in November 2020
- replacement of pool deck tiles throughout the centre – completion due in June 2021
- refurbishment of member change rooms due for completion in June 2021.
COVID-19 has had a significant impact on the City’s ability to continue funding capital works projects as originally intended. Further proposed works are currently on hold until such time that funding can be secured. These include:
- new two-storey entry building
- car park access via a bridge to a new level entry with a walk-through retail area
- staircase and a lift to accommodate stretchers, large wheelchairs and prams
- new indoor/outdoor café
- ramp to improve disability and pram access from the 25m pool deck down to the 50m pool deck
- new aquatic change facilities and pool deck showers
- expanded gym area with a group fitness room, wellness room, spin room, functional fitness room, enlarged gymnasium, reception area and consult rooms
- large multi-purpose space for personal training and group use
- new gym change rooms on the first floor
- improved disability access facilities including a full Changing Places facility
- stage 2 improved car parking facilities
- new accessible warm water pool, heated to 36°C and incorporating a spa
- new wellness centre, including sauna and steam room area
- new school group change area
- new first aid room.
1 Davies Ave, Queens Domain, Hobart 7000 View Map