Public Health Hotline: 1800 671 738
If you think you might have COVID-19 because you feel unwell with a fever OR cough, sore throat or shortness of breath AND have recently travelled internationally or interstate OR had contact with a confirmed case, phone your GP or the Tasmanian Public Health Hotline on 1800 671 738 straight away. Tell them about your symptoms and recent travel.
Need an interpreter?
Phone the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 and tell them your language.
Tell the interpreter your name and that you’re calling the Tasmanian Department of Health 1800 671 738.
The impacts of COVID-19 have placed great stress on many individuals, families and communities. Fortunately, there are organisations working to provide support through these challenging times. The information below provides contact details and links for service available to people in Hobart and across Tasmania.
- Find Help Tas has an up to date listing of a wide range of services available to Tasmanians. Anything from child-care to emergency food to legal support, Find Help Tas also has a dedicated COVID 19 services page.
- TasCOSS has a community noticeboard for updates to services being offered across Tasmania, including COVID-19 related assistance. The list is regularly updated.
- Community Social Workers: Support for people with complex care needs. Ph: 616 8354
Physical Health Advice
- Australian Government: Free phone health advice through 1800 022 222. Online information includes a symptom checker and the ability to search for a health service using your postcode.
- Tasmanian Government: Facts, keeping yourself, your family and community safe. Phone advice available through the Tasmanian Public Health Hotline: 1800 671 738.
- Primary Health Tasmania: The Tas After Hours website has information about the range of medical services available after hours (at night-time, on weekends and public holidays) and how to find them.
- Your GP: Many GPs are providing tele-health, so you don’t need to physically go to their surgery. Check with your local GP.
- Seniors Hotline: For older Australian to get critical information to stay safe and healthy during the COVID-19 crisis. 1800 171 866
- SBS: Information on COVID-19 in 63 different languages.
- Video Remote Interpreting Service (Auslan): Special free emergency VRI interpreting service available 9am-5pm during the COVID-19 outbreak.
Mental Health Advice
- Tasmanian Family Violence Response and Referral Line: 1800 633 937. 24 hours, 7 days a week, free and confidential.
- 1800RESPECT: National, 24/7 support for people impacted by sexual assault, domestic or family violence and abuse. Chat online or phone. 1800 737 732. National Relay Service: 1800 555 677, Interpreter: 13 14 50
- Mensline: Telephone and online chat counselling for men needing assistance with emotional health or relationship concerns. 1300 78 99 78
- If someone is at risk or in danger, call 000.
- Australia Post: Free home delivery service to support vulnerable members of the community. Speak to your pharmacy to see if you qualify for this service.
- Local Pharmacies: This website enables you to search your postcode for local pharmacies.
- Pharmacies with extended trading hours in Hobart: Find out where to access pharmacy services outside of normal business hours.
- Housing Connect: A one-stop-shop for all housing and support needs from emergency accommodation to long-term housing.
- Tasmanian Tenants Union: Free legal advice for public or private housing rentals.
- Safe Space: A collaboration between Hobart City Mission and The Salvation Army and supported by the City of Hobart for people sleeping rough. It is currently operating 24 hours a day, 7 days a week.
- St. Vincent de Paul: St. Vincent de Paul is providing food from outside its office at 212 Argyle Street, Hobart, between 5 pm and 6 pm daily. Phone: 03 6234 4244 for more information on who is eligible.
- Online Grocery Assistance: St. Vincent de Paul is offering a service for seniors and people who are isolated or unable to leave home for essential grocery items. Vinnies will assist with online grocery ordering. Southern Tasmania Phone: 03 6234 4244
- Hobart City Mission: Emergency assistance for food packs, food vouchers and other relief assistance. Phone: 03 6215 4200
- Meals on Wheels Tasmania: For seniors only. Potential clients of Meals on Wheels can refer themselves, be referred by a family member, friend, doctor or hospital or through My Aged Care.
Financial Emergency Relief
- Catholic Care: Ph: 1800 819 447
- Salvation Army Doorways Southern Tasmania: Ph: 6231 5440
- Volunteering Tasmania: Are you looking to help others? Register to volunteer for the Emergency Volunteer Crew and Volunteering Tasmania will connect you with organisations requiring volunteer support to keep their services going during the COVID-19 pandemic.