The City of Hobart provides busking locations at:
- Elizabeth Mall
- Wellington Court
- Franklin Square
- Salamanca (on market days only).
Buskers may entertain the public by playing an instrument, singing, dancing, juggling, miming, etc and may accept but cannot ask for donations for their performance.
To perform within Elizabeth Mall, Wellington Court and Franklin Square you need to apply for a City Busking Permit. These are free and available by either applying online or filling in the form(PDF, 48KB) and returning it by:
- email: email@example.com
- post: City of Hobart, GPO Box 503, Hobart Tasmania 7001
- in person: Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, Hobart.
If you are under 16 years of age you will need parental permission to perform and your parent or guardian is required to sign the application on your behalf.
Before you begin busking you are required to report to the officer in the Elizabeth Mall information booth who will allocate you a position. Buskers are only allowed to perform between the hours of 11 am and 3 pm, Monday to Saturday.
If you want to perform at Salamanca Market (including Salamanca Square, laneways and lawns) you can visit the Information Booth on Salamanca Lawns from 8 am on market days. For more information on busking at Salamanca Market, visit our Salamanca Market website.
All buskers must meet the terms and conditions of the permit.
Buskers must not:
- obstruct or hinder the passage of pedestrians, or vehicles
- create any nuisance or unreasonable noise or perform in a manner that, in the opinion of the police or an authorised officer, is offensive to the public
- use any form of sound amplification or electrically amplified instruments
- wear or display any advertising matter, whether or not commercial in nature
- combine with more than three other buskers on any one site to give a joint performance, unless expressly approved.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03 6238 2711.