The City of Hobart provides busking locations at:
- Elizabeth Mall
- Wellington Court
- Franklin Square
- Salamanca (on market days only).
Buskers may entertain the public by playing an instrument, singing, dancing, juggling, miming, etc and may accept but cannot ask for donations for their performance.
Buskers are only permitted between the hours of 11 am and 3 pm, Monday to Saturday.
You need a permit to perform within Elizabeth Mall, Wellington Court and Franklin Square. These are free and available from the Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, Hobart, during business hours. You will need to show photo ID and before you begin busking you must report to the officer in the Elizabeth Mall information booth who will allocate you a position.
Buskers wanting to perform at Salamanca Market (including Salamanca Square and Lawns) report to the Information Booth at Salamanca Market to get a permit issued by the market supervisor.
If you are under 16 years of age you need parental permission to perform and the parent/guardian must be present when the permit is issued.
All buskers must meet the terms and conditions of the permit.
Buskers must not:
- obstruct or hinder the passage of pedestrians, or vehicles
- create any nuisance or unreasonable noise or perform in a manner that, in the opinion of the police or an authorised officer, is offensive to the public
- use any form of sound amplification or electrically amplified instruments
- wear or display any advertising matter, whether or not commercial in nature
- combine with more than three other buskers on any one site to give a joint performance, unless expressly approved.
For more information email firstname.lastname@example.org or phone 03 6238 2711.