A-Z | Site map


Lodgement of Plumbing/Building Applications

All Building/Plumbing applications can only be lodged online via  "e-Services". The online application form will allow you to complete your details and respond to a number of questions and building/plumbing details and make payment of the application fees. You will need to upload all our documentation (note documents must be in PDF format).

If you would like instructions on how to lodge an application online, you can download the user guide here: Online lodgement user guide

Frequently Asked Questions

The following frequently asked questions should provide relevant information to help you with your plumbing application the plumbing process. (Please note plumbing work is incorporated within the Building Act 2000.)

  1. When would I require a plumbing permit?

  2. What are my responsibilities under the Building Act 2000 and Plumbing Regulations 2004?

  3. What application forms do I need for plumbing works and certificates?

  4. Does Council have further plumbing related information?

  5. Where can I find information regarding current plumbing issues?

  6. Do I need to use a registered plumber for plumbing works?

  7. How much will a plumbing permit cost?

  8. TasWater approvals?

1. Plumbing Work and Plumbing Permits

In most circumstances plumbing work will require a permit from your local Council. It is your responsibility as the property owner to ensure that a plumbing permit is in place prior to commencement of any plumbing work.

A plumbing permit may not be required if the work is categorised as exempt plumbing work under the Plumbing Regulations 2004.

If you believe a plumbing permit is not required you should seek confirmation from the Council and from the registered plumber undertaking the project prior to commencing any works.

Please Note - Substantial penalties apply to persons undertaking plumbing work without a permit.

2. Building Act 2000 and Plumbing Regulations 2004 Information

The Building Act 2000, along with the Plumbing Regulations 2004 are laws regulating building and plumbing work in Tasmania. These laws and the associated codes apply to everyone who undertakes plumbing work.

Further information is available at  www.justice.tas.gov.au  

3. Building Act 2000 Approved Forms and Hobart City Council Plumbing Application Forms

Supporting the Building Act 2000 and the Plumbing Regulations 2014 are a number of specified forms that standardise applications for building works and required certificates. Further information is available www.justice.tas.gov.au .

4. Council Plumbing Information

The following Council links offer further information to plumbing related issues:

5. General Plumbing Information

6. Registered Plumbers

All plumbing work as defined by the Building Act 2000 including installing, altering or maintaining a plumbing installation (i.e. roofing, drainage, pipe work) must be undertaken by a plumber who holds an appropriate certificate of registration under the Plumbers and Gas-fitters Registration Act 1951. For further information visit the licence databases website.

7. How much will a plumbing permit cost?

Council requires that all plumbing fees be paid on lodgement of your online plumbing application.  For more information, see our Fees and Charges section.

8. TasWater Approvals?

As part of the approvals process when lodging a building and/or plumbing application, you must have a Notice of Exemption or a Certificate of Certifiable Works from TasWater.

If a building or plumbing application requires a Certificate of Certifiable Works, TasWater needs to issue a Water and Sewerage Compliance Certificate before Council can issue a Certificate of Completion.


To contact TasWater telephone 136 992 or visit their website.

Customer Service Centre

16 Elizabeth St, Hobart
Office Hours: Mon–Fri 8.15am–5.15pm
Telephone (03) 6238 2711
Email coh@hobartcity.com.au

Postal address

Town Hall, Macquarie St
GPO Box 503
Hobart Tasmania 7001