Food businesses

Registration of a food business

Depending on the type of food you sell, you may need to register your business with us (this also fulfils the requirement to notify). Please contact the Environmental Health Unit if you are not sure whether you need to notify or register your business. 

To register your new food business, please complete and lodge a Food Business Registration Form(DOCX, 71KB). There is also a fee to register. 

If you are registering a food business for the first time, one of our Environmental Health Officers will inspect your premises before issuing a Certificate of Registration of a Food Business. You need the certificate before opening for business. 

Please note that if you have not operated a food business before you may need to complete some food handler training available at I’M ALERT Interactive Online Training.

Notification of a food business

All businesses selling food are legally required to notify the City of Hobart, even if you are only selling low-risk or packaged food. 

Our Environmental Health Unit uses the details you provide in your notification to provide food safety information or assistance and follow up during food recalls. 

There is no fee for notifying us of a food business. Simply complete and submit the Notification of a Food Business Form(DOCX, 64KB).  

If you need to register your food business, we will contact you. 

You must also advise us of any intended changes to food handling or fixtures at your business, as they must be approved. 

Risk classification

When you apply for a food licence your business will be assigned a risk classification of low, medium or high risk. This risk classification is regularly reviewed during routine inspections. 

Risk classification is based on: 

  • types of food being handled and sold

  • processing and handling methods

  • business size

  • whether your customers are from a high-risk population. 

The annual fees and inspection frequency for your business are based on this classification. 

Annual renewal

All registrations expire annually on 31 May. We will send you a renewal application form and fee information before the expiry date as well as one reminder. 

You must pay your application fee when you lodge your completed renewal or application form. 

Note: we can not process your renewal without a completed form and fee payment. 

You can view the current City of Hobart fees and charges here

I'M ALERT – Education and Hygiene Training 

Food handlers are required to have appropriate skills and knowledge to perform their food handling duties. The City of Hobart encourages food handlers within Hobart to undertake food education and hygiene training programs. I'M ALERT is a free online training program. 

Visit the I'M ALERT Interactive Online Training Website

There are many food safety documents and information available in languages other than English. These can be accessed via the Health Translation Directory

More information

Contact us on 03 6238 2715 for further information.