Requesting a review of your parking fine

You can request a review of your parking fine in some circumstances. Please follow the guidelines and process carefully.

The requests for review are guided by the Monetary Penalties Enforcement Act 2005, which says you can request withdrawal of your infringement notice by applying to the Issuing Authority (the City of Hobart) who will then conduct a review of your infringement notice.

Circumstances we won't consider

The following are not valid reasons for the withdrawal of a parking infringement notice:

  • going for change or not having sufficient change to operate a voucher machine or parking meter
  • re-feeding a parking meter/voucher
  • improper use of a parking meter/voucher machine/phone app (EasyPark) e.g. paying the wrong bay
  • being new to, or unfamiliar with a particular Tasmanian road rule or offence
  • appointments or meetings running overtime
  • not noticing or misreading a parking sign
  • being unaware of which vehicles can use loading or permit zones
  • incorrectly displaying a transferable parking permit
  • running out of petrol, or experiencing vehicle issues that did not require repair/towing.

Circumstances we will consider

The City of Hobart will consider a review of your parking fine if you believe that:

  • you did not commit an offence
  • exceptional circumstances (outside of your control) resulted in the offence, i.e. a medical emergency (an injury/illness posing an immediate risk to a person's life or long-term health) or a vehicle breakdown outside your control
  • the infringement notice was issued to the incorrect person or vehicle (e.g. you were not in the location or the incorrect registration was recorded).

Information you need to provide

You can only make one application for review per infringement notice. This means that you need to provide all the relevant information and any supporting documentation to the City of Hobart when requesting a review (including a statutory declaration if you are not the registered operator).

You must provide verifiable independent documentation to consider the withdrawal of an infringement notice on the grounds of exceptional circumstances.

  • If you experienced a mechanical breakdown, you will need to provide an invoice for mechanical/roadside assistance or towing.
  • If you experienced a medical emergency, you will need to provide a letter from the hospital or treating medical practitioner confirming the emergency on the day.
  • If your objection relates to a parking permit, include the permit number, expiry date, issuing council and, if possible, a copy of the permit.

Vehicle registration

Parking fines are issued to 'the registered operator' of the vehicle. Only the registered operator (or their authorised representative) may apply for a review. If you are not the registered operator, you must supply one of the following documents with your review request:

  • a statutory declaration completed by the registered operator or yourself, nominating you as the driver on the day in question
  • a letter from the registered operator authorising you to act on their behalf.

Apply for a review

Along with the information you need to provide (listed above), please complete and submit the online form.

Online form

A printable form is available on our forms page.

If you don't want to complete the online form, you can send a letter, but it MUST include the following information:

  • your name and postal address (we will respond in writing to the address provided)
  • contact telephone number
  • the infringement notice number
  • the vehicle registration number (where applicable)
  • an explanation of why you believe the infringement notice should be reviewed
  • any supporting documentation.

Next steps

The internal review process can take up to 90 days. You will receive a written response advising you of the outcome.

The infringement will be placed on hold pending review, please do not pay the infringement before you receive a response.

We consider all of the available information, including:

If the review says the parking fine stays in place, you will be advised of a new payment date.

You must pay the fine by the due date, or request a payment plan.

Requests for election of a court hearing

To request a court hearing for a parking or traffic fine (infringement notice) you are required to complete the online notice to elect a court hearing (infringement notice) form. A printable form is available on our forms page.

Once we receive the form you will then receive a summons to appear in court.

Please note that additional costs may be incurred if the matter is referred to court.