A-Z | Site map

Parks and Gardens


The Hobart City Council manages and maintains a number of high quality public parks and gardens designed to provide a range of experiences and activities for everyone.


Recently the Hobart City Council completed an extensive redevelopment of Long Beach and the Foreshore. To find out more about the new seawall, promenade and playscape click here.

Parks and Facilities List for all Parks and Reserves

For details on booking Parks please contact (03) 6238 2886. Booking Forms Parks booking form and General Information are also available for download.

For information on fees and charges please refer to our Fees and Charges page.  Please note that booking applications made within 10 days prior to the event may not be considered. 

All tentative bookings are only held for a 14-day period and it is the responsibility of the applicant to contact the Council should an extension of this time be required.

An overview of a selection of the major parks in the City follows:

Alexandra Battery

Originally constructed in February 1885 to defend Hobart, this site has since been developed as a public park.

The site has expansive views of the River Derwent and is an ideal location to watch the final stages of the Sydney to Hobart blue water classic yacht race.

The site can be accessed from Sandy Bay Road.

Caldew Park

This family park is located on the corner of Hill and Warwick Streets in West Hobart.

Traditionally known as the train park due to the original installation of a traction engine this site has recently undergone significant refurbishment.

The area is fully fenced and provides a safe and enjoyable wonderland for children. In addition to the range of play equipment (including a tricycle track) the site offers free electric BBQs and public convenience facilities.

Cascade Gardens

Cascade GardensLocated in South Hobart, off McRobies Road.

A green and tree-shaded linear park near Cascade Brewery with a children's playground and rhododendron backed picnic and barbecue area. Public convenience facilities are also provided at the Gardens.

Nearby are the remains of the 19th century Cascades Female Factory.  A walking track leaves the Gardens and runs alongside the Hobart Rivulet which leads through the inner suburb of South Hobart to the City centre.

Cornelian Bay

Cornelian BayA quiet stroll along Queens Walk, a patchwork of green sports fields sweep down to Queens Walk and the Cornelian Bay Beach, a long established recreation site, the end point of the Queens Domain, and a foreshore-walking track to the Botanical Gardens.  With its classic boat sheds, picnic sites and BBQs, Cornelian Bay is a good rest spot along the Intercity Cycleway where public convenience facilities are also available.  A feature is the playground, with its collection of accessible play equipment.


Cultural Park

Sited on the corner of Tasma and Murray Streets in North Hobart this park is the home of the North Hobart Skate Facility.

The site also includes public convenience facilities and a new and dynamic children's playground

A key feature of this park is its migration wall and cultural totem poles.

Fitzroy Gardens

Located in Dynnyrne, enter off either Fitzroy Crescent or Digney Street.  Attractive and ornamental with roses, rhododendrons and mature copper beeches, elm, oaks and plane trees, the Gardens which have public convenience facilities  provide a quiet ambience and a playground for children.

Franklin Square

Franklin SquareLocated in the centre of Hobart and surrounded by Macquarie, Elizabeth and Davey Streets, this was the site of the first Government House.

Magnificent oak trees provide shade for visitors who have come to enjoy the area.  A central feature of this site is the majestic fountain.  A statue of Governor Sir John Franklin stands in the square.

There is ample seating and public convenience facilities are located on the Elizabeth Street frontage of the Square.

Hobart Cenotaph

Hobart CenotaphStanding with reverent grandeur Hobart's war memorial overlooks the scenic and historic Regatta Grounds.


A feature of this area is a recently dedicated memorial to Tasmania's 13 Victoria Cross recipients which incorporates a unique sound-scape.

Hobart Rivulet Linear Park

It is indeed unique that one can follow the footsteps of early explorers to leave the very heart of the City and follow a path to the foothills of a magnificent mountain.

The Hobart Linear Park can be accessed off Molle Street which provides entry to the park and the walking trail following the banks of the Hobart Rivulet for approximate 2 kilometres to Cascade Gardens.

The walk passes through extensive plantings with a relaxing and scenic back drop.

Seating and free electric BBQ facilities are available along the walk.

Intercity Cycleway

An easy walk from the City, the Hobart Regatta Grounds is the place for summer picnics, kite flying or a wander along the foreshore.  It's also the start of the Intercity Cycleway, a 5km track linking Hobart, Glenorchy and beyond.  Rollerbladers, cyclists, joggers, strollers and all walkers enjoy this smooth, safe and comfortably graded path that winds along the banks of the River Derwent, by Government House, under the approaches to the Tasman Bridge and on past the Botanical Gardens to Cornelian Bay, where it threads inland through New Town, Moonah, Glenorchy and as far as Claremont.

Long Beach and Nutgrove

Sandy Bay's Long Beach and Nutgrove have been Hobart's summer playgrounds since the early days of settlement. Electric BBQs, picnic facilities and public toilets are all provided. The area has also recently undergone an extensive redevelopment, click here to find out more.

Here, dinghy sailors and sailboarders tackle the fresh sea breezes, families picnic or barbecue on the lawns and children enjoy a play in the park.  There's an easy walk to Blinking Billy Point, where racing yachts often turn at a mark, sometimes almost scraping the foreshore rocks.  Each year, the colour and action of the Sandy Bay Regatta attracts crowds of visitors to the area.

**Bookings are not required for the BBQ's in this area.  

Mawson Place

Located in the heart of Hobart's Waterfront this contemporary park with unique lighting and intriguing sculpture offers a space to relax and take in the atmosphere of the busy working port and base for a major fishing fleet.

The Park is a short stroll from the City centre and is close to the numerous attractions of the Sullivan's Cove area.

New Town Rivulet Linear Park

Plants, picnics and paintings, New Town Rivulet flows from kunanyi / Mount Wellington through Lenah Valley's Bushland and the inner suburb of New Town.  There are several parks and reserves along the course of the stream, most linked by a walking track, forming the New Town Rivulet Linear Park.  They include Acanthe Park, with its native flora, bush walks and the historic Lady Franklin Art Gallery; and the John Turnbull Park and Oval with its sporting facilities, playground, public convenience facilities and picnic area.

Princes Park

The first construction near this strategic site was the 1818 Mulgrave Battery, built on the site of today's Castray Esplanade, and renamed Prince of Wales Battery in 1855.  In 1841 the Prince Albert Battery was constructed higher up the hill - guided walks now visit its well-preserved tunnels.  The semaphore station and signal mast still standing on the edge of Princes Park once signalled ships entering the harbour, and relayed messages via a chain of stations to Port Arthur.

This park is the home of a recently constructed childrens' playground and provides public convenience facilities.

St Andrews Park

St Andrews ParkBegan as a Presbyterian burial ground in the 1820s, and since 1934 has been a public recreation area managed by the Hobart City Council.

Today, St Andrews is a pleasant spot of green on the edge of North Hobart.

The entrance to the park from Patrick street has an avenue of flowering apples which provides a display not to be missed in the Spring.


St David's Park

Nine hundred people were buried under the lush green turf of St David's Park.  Now only a few of the more important memorials remain - including David Collins, first Lieutenant Governor, interred in a casket of Huon pine.  A thoughtful stroll around the park's wall of headstones gives a poignant picture of life and death in the colony's early days.

Public convenience facilities are available in the Park.

A rotunda is available for hire by phoning 6238 2886 during office hours

Salamanca Lawns

Salamanca LawnsHobart's historic Salamanca area is rich in history and the green space under the shady plane trees is a haven for visitors enjoying the popular weekly Salamanca Market.

Running parallel with Castray Esplanade one row of plane trees are fitted with thousands of bud lights which create a romantic and fascinating display.



Skate Park

The Council provides a major skate park on the corner of Tasma and Murray Streets in North Hobart.  This park (open from 9.00am to 8.00pm) ranks amongst the best in Australia.

Soundy Park

One of the newer Parks in Hobart, Soundy Park is located on the corner of Argyle and Burnett Streets in North Hobart. The park has a gentle slope and is suitable for non competition sports. There is an excellent playground, off street car parking and fully accessible public convenience facilities.

The park also includes free electric BBQs and picnic facilities.

University Rose Gardens

Rose GardenFragrant blooms by the highway in the spacious grounds of Tasmania's first university campus, the Rose Gardens feature forty named rose varieties in neat well-tended plantings.

Situated on the lower slopes of the Domain at the edge of the City, the Rose Gardens are adjacent to the The Hobart Aquatic Centre, and only a short walk from the centre of Hobart.


Customer Service Centre

16 Elizabeth St, Hobart
Office Hours: Mon–Fri 8.15am–5.15pm
Telephone (03) 6238 2711
Email hcc@hobartcity.com.au

Postal address

Town Hall, Macquarie St
GPO Box 503
Hobart Tasmania 7001