Elizabeth Street Retail Precinct Upgrade
The Elizabeth Street retail precinct upgrade is designed to deliver improvements to streetscape quality and pedestrian amenity and to provide vibrant, accessible and attractive social spaces for the community. The improvements will support local traders and cater for the growing community of students in this precinct.
In spring 2015, the City of Hobart and a team of consultants undertook a program of community engagement to identify and prioritise streetscape upgrades for retail precincts across the Hobart municipality.
Pedestrian amenity improvements were trialled and a master plan was then developed. A number of recommendations were proposed and these will be considered with further community engagement as the project progresses. Some options include:
- increased footpath space and a mid block pedestrian crossing between Brisbane and Patrick Streets
- improved footpaths and pedestrian space and a mid block pedestrian crossing between Brisbane and Melville Streets
- kerb outstands and improved crossing points at the corner of Patrick Street
- landscaping and high-quality surface finishes
- introducing deciduous trees to the street
- improved road crossings for pedestrians
- new street furniture including bench seating.
Detailed planning and design will occur during 2018/2019 with construction planned for the 2019/2020 financial year.
You can download a copy of the Master Plan: A Plan for Hobart’s Local Retail Precincts(PDF, 4MB).
Elizabeth Street, Hobart 7000 View Map