Animal complaints

We deal with various animal-related complaints, but most involve dogs and are guided by the Dog Control Act 2000.

Roaming dogs

Dog owners may be fined if their dogs are on the streets on their own. 

If you have a problem with dogs roaming in your neighbourhood contact us.

Barking dogs

There are several stages involved when dealing with barking complaints.

Stage 1

A letter is sent to the dog owner stating when the barking is occurring, measures to stop dogs barking, the legal responsibilities of dog owners and the penalties involved for continued barking. 

Stage 2

One of our animal management officers will visit the dog owner to discuss ways to stop the dog from barking, such as dog behavioural training. 

Stage 3

If there has been no improvement, the complainant can submit a Notice of Complaint as to Nuisance Created by Dog form, along with a $75 fee. Once this has been submitted, we will undertake a 30 day investigation and decide if penalties will be imposed for nuisance barking. The complaint form fee is refunded if the complaint is proven. 

Dog attacks

If a dog attacks or chases any person or animal the owner of the dog is guilty of an offence. 

If you have been involved in an incident with an aggressive dog and want to lodge a complaint, please contact us. 

Dangerous dogs

Any dog that has caused serious injury to a person or other animal, or is likely to cause serious injury, may be declared a dangerous dog. 

The City of Hobart makes the final decision and will consider all evidence before declaring a dog to be dangerous. The dog owner has the right to appeal the declaration within 14 days of the notice being served. 

All dogs used to guard non-residential premises are declared dangerous. 

Dog faeces

Dog owners are required to pick up their dog's droppings, if they don't they can be fined.  

If you have issues with dog owners not picking up after their dog in your area, please contact us. 


Please send complaints to us in one of the following ways: