Sandy Bay UTAS redevelopment submission
This document represents the City of Hobart's formal submission into the stakeholder consultation process for the redevelopment of the UTAS Sandy Bay campus.
It puts forward several ideas and identifies aspects for the redevelopment which the city considers crucial to making the most of this opportunity.
It includes the following recommendations:
- Positioning the redevelopment as a world leading model of sustainable, walkable urban renewal, which works as part of the larger picture of CBD and other urban renewal areas to reinforce the city’s reputation on the world stage and provide a vital building block into making Hobart one of the world's great small cities.
- Ensuring redevelopment is responsive to the site's environmental and landscape values, and constraints such as bushfire and stormwater flooding.
- Providing a significant contribution of new housing to help address both the current housing crisis and a focus on new models of "missing middle" housing offering real alternatives to traditional fringe greenfield housing in the city.
- Leveraging the site as an economic and innovation engine complementing Hobart CBD, including ideas like a "global centre of excellence" in an iconic Tasmanian field and a start-up hub.
- To focus on its walkability and integration with existing and emerging means of transport and other infrastructure.
- Negotiations for the implementation of the redevelopment need to address developer funding commitments that ensure the success of such key attributes as the quality of the public realm being delivered and key external connections.
The below document provides further detail of this submission and these recommendations.
City of Hobart - Sandy Bay UTAS redevelopment submission(PDF, 1MB)