Doone Kennedy Hobart Aquatic Centre Redevelopment
- Project typeCapital Works
- Project value$22 Million
- Project schedule2017 - 2020
About the project
The Doone Kennedy Hobart Aquatic Centre is a very popular community facility but at almost 21 years old, it is due for significant redevelopment.
Following consultation with key stakeholder a Master Plan for the centre has been developed and adopted by Council in May 2017.
How will the development be funded?
The Master Plan proposes a total redevelopment that will cost approximately $22M for the City to undertake.
The City is in a position to fund $12M of these works itself which will cover the cost of the following aspects:
- A new indoor/outdoor cafe.
- A new staircase and a lift to accommodate stretchers and large wheelchairs.
- New aquatic change facilities in the “change village setup” with pool deck showers.
- Access directly off the car park via a bridge to a new level entry with a walk through retail area.
- An increased size gym, with two group fitness rooms, consult rooms and a spin classroom.
- One multi-purpose space for childcare/personal training and user groups use with outdoor access to a functional training area.
- New gym change rooms on the first floor.
- Improved staff administration and amenities area.
- A new retrofitted spa in the current area
To fund the balance of the project, the City has lodged two funding applications for $10M with the Australian Government. These funding applications have been unsuccessful. Therefore these additional works will not be achieved:
- A new external, enclosed water slide.
- A new zero depth splash pad children’s play area.
- A new accessible warm water pool, heated 36°C which includes spas.
- A new wellness sauna and steam room area.
- A new school group change area to assist with teacher supervision of students.
- Improved car parking facilities.
- New dry diving space to allow for national diving competitions and use for supervised children’s parties.
- Renewal of pool deck tiles in traffic areas.
- On site chlorine generation unit and other chemical system improvements.
- Increased CCTV coverage for new areas.
- Upgraded emergency evacuation system for new areas.
- A new first aid room.
1 Davies Ave, Queens Domain , Hobart 7000 View Map