Construction management plans

Hobart City Council is committed to ensuring construction works are undertaken with minimal impact and disruption to the surrounding community.

To minimise disruption to the local community, Council may require the submission of a Construction Management Plan (CMP) before works can commence. Some areas that may need to be addressed in a CMP include:

  • public safety, amenity and site security
  • construction hours
  • noise control
  • air and dust management
  • waste management
  • traffic management.

The aim of a CMP is to document the agreed construction approach on an approved development. 

How do I know if a CMP is required?

If a CMP is required, it will be included as a condition in the planning permit which is granted by Council. The condition will specify which issues the CMP is required to address.

Approval of a CMP

Most CMPs will need to be submitted and approved by the Council. To do so, please follow our condition endorsement process.

What happens if work commences without the required CMP in place?

Under the provisions of the Land Use Planning and Approvals Act 1993, a breach of a planning permit condition can result in Council taking enforcement action, including issuing a fine through an infringement notice. It is therefore important that you comply with a requirement to submit a CMP if required to do so by a planning permit condition.

Restrictions on operating hours

The Environmental Management and Pollution Control (Noise) Regulations 2016 restricts certain activities (including operating mobile machinery, a forklift truck and portable equipment) to certain times, depending on the day of the week. These restrictions apply in addition to any conditions limiting operating hours in a planning permit. You are encouraged to familiarise yourself with the prohibited hours of equipment use to ensure that you are not in breach of those Regulations and committing an offence.

Other approvals

You may need other approvals in addition to a CMP.


  • If your works will be close to Council’s stormwater infrastructure, you may need approval under s.13 of the Urban Drainage Act 2013 and s.73 of the Building Act 2016. Please contact the Stormwater Unit at to find out more.


  • If you need to occupy part of a road, footpath, nature-strip or similar area while you are carry out works (such as a skip, machinery or temporary fencing), please apply to do so online on our roads and footpaths page
  • If you need to close a road to traffic or close a footpath to pedestrians while you carry out works or for an event, please apply to do so with our online application forms. This includes the use of traffic cones, signs or safety barriers etc.
  • If you would like an exemption from parking restrictions then please apply for a parking permit.

Council land (other than a road reservation)

  • If the approved use or development will be on or over Council land then you may need a permit to occupy. You can apply for this permit online on our permit to occupy a public space page.
  • If you would like to do works in a Council park, reserve or other public open space, you may need a permit to do so. You can apply for this permit online.
  • If you intend to do works to a building or on land owned by the Council, you may need a licence or lease or a variation to an existing licence or lease. 

Protection of infrastructure

More information

For more information about the preparation of CMPs or CMPs which have been approved by Council for a particular development, please phone Council’s City Planning Division on 03 6238 2715.