Start date proposed for interim market at Salamanca
Published on 15 July 2020
A smaller, interim market at Salamanca Place is proposed to start early next month, with details for the new format currently being finalised.
The modified market will initially operate in two sections, with a total of around 90 stalls per week, and will put the focus on the local appeal of the Tasmanian- designed and made products offered.
Acting Lord Mayor Helen Burnet said plans were being finalised around managing capacity and public health requirements, and a tentative start date of Saturday 8 August had been identified.
“We now know that we can have up to 500 people – including stallholders – in each of the two sections,” she said. “There will be designated entry and exit points and volunteers will assist in making sure everyone is safe. And there will be plenty of hand sanitiser to go around.”
Cr Burnet said it had been a difficult few months for stallholders, many of whom relied on the weekly market as their primary source of income.
“This interim market will be smaller than they are used to, but we’re pleased to give stallholders the opportunity to get back out there selling their products,” she said.
“This smaller market will be promoted as Tasmania’s Own Market and will be a great opportunity for locals to reconnect with stallholders and the wonderful Tasmanian products they offer.”
General Manager Nick Heath said there was one more key procedural step in the planning process.
“The interim market will have a changed footprint, number of sites and different opening hours,” he said. “Before we can proceed, a formal resolution of Council to close the road for that purpose is required. It’s a small but vital step that is needed for us to comply with the Local Government Act.”
A Special Council Meeting will be held on 20 July to facilitate the required resolution.
Mr Heath said staff were working hard behind the scenes to make sure the interim market meets all necessary health and legal requirements.
“A COVID Safe Plan is being developed for the market and all required safety precautions will be taken,” he said.
“We have always said that we won’t have a market until we know we can provide a safe environment for stallholders, staff and members of the public. We are committed to seeing that through and we will continue to seek public health advice.”