Aldermanic Code of Conduct
The City of Hobart adopted the state government’s Model Code of Conduct, without variation, as its own Code of Conduct on 9 May 2016.
View the Code of Conduct here: Aldermanic Code of Conduct(PDF, 2MB)
The code of conduct framework is legislated under the Local Government Act 1993 (the Act). The Act is available to view at the Tasmanian Legislation Website.
The Code of Conduct outlines the standards of behaviour expected of Aldermen of the City in respect to all aspects of their role as elected representatives of the Hobart community.
Application of Standards
The following standards are identified and addressed within the Code:
1. Decision making
2. Conflict of interest
3. Use of office
4. Use of resources
5. Use of information
6. Gifts and benefits
7. Relationships with community, Aldermen and council employees
Making a Code of Conduct complaint
A person may make a code of conduct complaint against one Alderman in relation to the contravention by the Alderman of the council’s Code of Conduct.
A person may make a complaint against more than one Alderman if the complaint relates to the same behaviour and the same Code of Conduct contravention.
Code of conduct complaints are to be lodged with the General Manager of the City of Hobart and must comply with legislative requirements, as outlined below.
A complaint may not be made by more than two complainants jointly.
A code of conduct complaint is to –
- be in writing;
- state the name and address of the complainant;
- state the name of each Alderman against whom the complaint is made;
- state the provisions of the Code of Conduct that the Alderman has allegedly contravened;
- contain details of the behaviour of each Alderman that constitutes the alleged contravention;
- be lodged with the General Manager within six months after the Alderman or Aldermen against whom the complaint is made allegedly committed the contravention of the code of conduct; and
- be accompanied by the code of conduct complaint lodgement fee.
Once satisfied that the code of conduct complaint meets prescribed requirements, the General Manager is to forward the complaint to the Code of Conduct Panel.
Code of Conduct complaint lodgment fee
The code of conduct complaint lodgement fee is prescribed under Schedule 3 (Fees) of the Local Government (General) Regulations 2015