COVID-19 Vaccination Policy

Show your tick at City of Hobart venues

As of 15 December 2021, the City of Hobart has introduced a policy that requires all staff, contractors, volunteers, elected members and visitors to staffed premises to provide evidence of vaccination against COVID-19 in order to gain entry to the premises.

This policy is designed to reduce the risk of a workplace COVID-19 outbreak, and enhance the City of Hobart's ability to maintain essential services and support programs if and when COVID-19 enters our community.

COVID-19 Visitor Policy(PDF, 254KB)

As an organisation, the City of Hobart needs to be ready and able to respond quickly to any emerging situation, and to support health services and other partner agencies, should the need arise as the result of a community outbreak.

A list of what is acceptable evidence of your vaccination status, as well as how to obtain it, can be found on the Tasmanian Government Coronavirus website. This includes a how-to guide for adding your COVID-19 digital certificate to the Check in TAS app.

Under the City of Hobart's Visitor Policy, anyone aged 17 years and older is required to show proof of vaccination or a valid medical exemption to enter the following venues:

  • Town Hall
  • Council Centre including Customer Services Centre
  • Doone Kennedy Hobart Aquatic Centre
  • Mathers House
  • Youth ARC
  • Clearys Gates Depot
  • Bushland Operations Depot
  • Elizabeth Street Conference Room
  • Mornington Nursery
  • Tasmanian Travel and Information Centre

City of Hobart venues that are wholly leased or hired, or where staff generally do not come in contact with members of the public, or staff are already protected by screens are exempt from the policy.

These venues include:

  • Multi-storey car parks
  • Elizabeth Mall Information Hub
  • Sporting facilities
  • Ovals and parks
  • Community halls
  • Criterion House
  • Legacy park

Salamanca Market is also exempt under the existing state government events framework. However, face masks are mandatory for all patrons, staff and volunteers while attending the market.

Vaccination status is not required at McRobies Waste Management Centre (the Tip) but masks must be worn and cash payments are no longer accepted.



Why are you requiring proof of double vaccination?

As a large organisation that provides a range of essential services, we are taking precautions to protect our staff and community in the event there is a local COVID-19 outbreak.

It is known that double vaccination reduces the risk of contracting the virus and also reduces the severity of symptoms. By requiring staff, customers and visitors to be vaccinated, we can reduce the risk of a workplace outbreak and therefore continue to support our community through provision of essential services during a community outbreak.

Do my guests have to be fully vaccinated if I hire a council venue such as a hall?

If you hire a stand-alone space or venue such as Mawson Pavilion or the City Hall, which is not a regular worksite for our employees, then it is your responsibility to ensure all Tasmanian Government COVID-19 Safe guidelines are met. Vaccination status will be at the discretion of the Tasmanian Government and event organiser, not the City of Hobart.

If you hire a space or room that is within a regular worksite, such as the Town Hall Ballroom or Elizabeth Street Conference Room then there is an obligation that all guests are double vaccinated.

Lists of the spaces that do and do not require proof of vaccination are located at the top of the page.

What proof of medical exemption will the City of Hobart accept?

The Tasmanian Government has an approved form which must be signed by a registered medical practitioner.

This form can be found on the Tasmanian Government Coronavirus website.

How can I prove my status if I don't have a smart phone?

You can download a printable copy of the certificate from Medicare Australia on MyGov, or the Medicare mobile app.

Your GP may be able to provide a paper copy.

You can also contact the Australian Immunisation Register by calling 1800 653 809 during business hours and they will post a copy – this may take up to 14 days.

What if I hire a council space out of hours with no council staff around?

If this space is not used as a workplace during office hours (such as Mount Stuart Community Hall) there is no requirement to provide proof of vaccination.

If the space is used as an operational worksite (such as Elizabeth Street Conference Room) then proof of vaccination is required.

Lists of the spaces that do and do not require proof of vaccination are located at the top of the page.