Get help

Get Help

There are a range of supports out there to support you when you need it.

The information below provides contact details and links for service available to people in Hobart and across Tasmania.


Physical Health Advice

Widespread testing of people with cold or flu-like symptoms (even mild) is vital to track and slow the spread of COVID-19.  If you feel unwell with a fever OR cough, sore throat or shortness of breath phone your GP or the Tasmanian Public Health Hotline on 1800 671 738.

Need an interpreter?

Phone the Translating and Interpreting Service (TIS) on 131 450 and tell them your language.  Tell the interpreter your name and that you’re calling the Tasmanian Department of Health 1800 671 738.

  • COVID Safe behaviours: For information on keeping yourself, your family and community safe.
  • People at higher risk: Advice for specific groups at higher risk of COVID-19 including older people, health and aged care workers, people in aged care facilities, people with chronic health conditions and people with disability.

Mental Health Advice

  • Looking after your mental health: For information on the range of mental health support services available for Tasmanians, including phone, in person and online supports.

Family Violence

  • Safe at Home: The integrated response to family violence in Tasmanian.  The website includes information on Victim and Offender Support Services, Financial Support as well as Court and Police Assistance.  You can report or discuss family violence incidents via 1800 633 937 (24/7) although in an emergency always call 000
  • Mensline: Telephone and online chat counselling for men needing assistance with emotional health or relationship concerns.1300 78 99 78
  • If someone is at risk or in danger, call 000.


  • Housing Connect: A one-stop-shop for all housing and support needs from emergency accommodation to long-term housing.
  • Tasmanian Tenants Union: Free legal advice for public or private housing rentals.
  • Safe Space: A collaboration between Hobart City Mission and The Salvation Army and supported by the City of Hobart for people sleeping rough. Referrals to Safe Space are made through Housing Connect on a daily basis. Call 1800 800 588.
  • Residential Tenancy: The Tasmanian Government has extended the protections put in place for residential tenants during the COVID-19 emergency period to 1 December 2020. 


  • TasCOSS has compiled an Emergency Food Relief Directory of services available across Tasmania.


  • Skills Tasmania is offering a wide range of JobTrainer courses which are available to eligible learners at no-cost.

Financial emergency relief

  • Rent Relief: The Tasmanian Government is providing rent relief for people who rent homes in the private market and who are experiencing housing stress because COVID-19. If you previously received support you can apply for the second round until 1 December 2020.
  • Landlord Support: The Tasmanian Government is providing a Landlord Support fund for landlords experiencing financial hardship as a result of COVID-19 until 1 December 2020.
  • Salvation Army: Commonwealth funding is now available for individuals and families who are experiencing financial hardship caused by COVID-19 to help with rent, mortgage relief, groceries, paying bills and more.
  • Red Cross Emergency Relief: Commonwealth funding is available to support people who are on temporary visas with a small one-off emergency relief payment.

Community services

  • Find Help Tas has an up to date listing of a wide range of services available to Tasmanians.  Anything from child-care to emergency food to legal support, Find Help Tas also has a dedicated COVID-19 services page.
  •  TasCOSS has a community noticeboard for updates to services being offered across Tasmania, including COVID-19 related assistance.