Children and families
Hobart is a family-friendly city that provides and promotes a range of activities and services for children and families.
Public amenities and parenting rooms
For up-to-date information on public amenities and parenting rooms in Hobart, visit the GotToGo public amenities website.
The City of Hobart facilitates community events such as the Hobart Kids School Holiday program, the Bush Adventures seasonal programs, Harmony Day in March, National Families Week in May and Children’s Week in October.
We also organise major child and family-friendly events including the Hobart Myer Christmas Pageant and Taste of Tasmania Kids in the Park.
Get active with the kids
There are so many places to play and keep active in the Hobart municipal area. Some of these include:
We coordinate the Hobart Children and Families Network: a network of workers representing organisations who provide services and programs to children from 0–12 years and their families.
The network members:
• share information about programs and initiatives
• discuss identified gaps and need
• build relationships and make connections
• participate in community engagement and capacity-building opportunities
• meet four times per year.
Children and Families Strategy
We have developed and implemented the City of Hobart Children and Families Strategy 2014–19 based on extensive consultation with the community. This strategy guides all our work with children and families to:
- connect organisations within the children and families sector in Hobart
- support and promote opportunities for parents to connect with each other
- support and promote dynamic, vibrant and culturally expressive opportunities for families and children
- support children and families’ access to services through information provision
- increase opportunities for children to live in healthy, happy and safe environments.
View the City of Hobart Children and Families Strategy 2014–19.
03 6238 2953