Filming in Hobart
The City of Hobart actively promotes and supports the use of the city for film and photo shoots. The city has a Film Friendly Policy which provides further information about filming and photography in Hobart along with industry contacts, locations, support and other resources, for more information see our Film Friendly page.
The City of Hobart regulates filming and photography permits to ensure that activities are conducted according to our safety and amenity regulations, and minimising interruptions to residents and businesses.
You will require a permit if you are using a street, park, mall, car park, roadway, cycleway, or other public area within the Hobart municipal area, a permit is required to film or take photos of a commercial nature.
A permit is not required if you are filming on private property.
If you are unsure if you require a permit, or unsure if your location falls within the City of Hobart area, please phone 03 6238 2758.
How to apply
We require a filming permit to be submitted a minimum of one week before filming.
You can apply for a permit by completing the Application to conduct commercial filming and photography form online or filling in the form(PDF, 69KB) and returning it in one of the following ways:
- email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- post: City of Hobart, GPO Box 503, Hobart Tasmania 7001
- in person: Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, Hobart.
There is a commercial filming fee of $660 for a full day and $360 for a half or part day.
We also offer a low impact fee for filming permits that meet the following criteria:
- The filming activity production crew is no more than 6 people (including cast/talent)
- The equipment used must be not more than one camera, one tripod and one handheld sound recording equipment
- Cause no interruption to pedestrians or vehicular traffic
- No pedestrian or traffic management is required
- No vehicle access to a location is required
- No more than one park location is requested
The low impact fee is $100. Further information can be found on our Fees and Charges page.
Communications and Marketing
03 6238 2758