The City of Hobart controls voucher machines in Salamanca Place, as well as on-street parking spaces in and around the city centre using multi-bay and single head parking meters.
Parking meters operate Monday to Saturday from 8.30 am – 6 pm and Sunday 9 am – 4 pm.
They do not operate on public holidays.
Times of operation and parking time limits are displayed on all meters. There may be other restrictions (for example, bus zone, clearway, loading zone, etc.) which operate during and outside these hours.
Parking fees are displayed on the parking meters and voucher machines. It is essential to use coins in good condition as bent or foreign coins may not work.
Parking correctly within the space will help you and other drivers to move in and out of spaces as easily as possible.
Please note that the time limit displayed on the parking sign indicates the maximum time that you can stay in the parking space. Staying longer than the time displayed can result in a parking fine.
View parking fees on our fees and charges page.
How to use multi-bay parking meters
- Note the parking bay (space) you have parked your car in on the footpath next to your vehicle and go to the meter in the direction indicated by the arrow on the footpath.
- Enter your parking bay number into the machine (these are normally in the range of 1 to 10). For double digit bay numbers enter the digits on the key pad that represents the bay number, e.g. 1 + 0 = Bay 10.
- Check that your bay number is displayed on the screen.
- Insert coins – the meter will accept 10c, 20c, 50c, $1 and $2 coins.
- Do not exceed the amount of time that you have paid to park for on the meter.
- Do not exceed the time limit as displayed on the parking sign or the meter.
Note: before parking your car please check all parking signs to make sure you are parked correctly. You may be issued with a parking fine if you continue to feed coins into the meter so that your vehicle is parked for longer than the time limit allowed or the meter has expired.
Parking meter faults
If you have received a fine on a meter you believe to be faulty, please phone 03 6238 2780 or 03 6238 2781.
In the case of faults with parking meters or voucher machines:
- phone 03 6238 2751
- notify a parking and information officer
- inform the cashier at one of the City’s multistorey car parks.
Once you report a fault, one of our technicians will investigate.
Please note that if a faulty meter is not clearly visible to the parking and information officer an infringement will be issued. The time restrictions on the parking sign apply even if the parking meter or ticket machine is not in operation
Removal of parking meters
We may remove parking meters for fixed time periods for building construction or maintenance, or remove them permanently in some cases. Charges may apply.
For any enquiries please phone 03 6238 2813 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.