City of Hobart Support and Information
Apply to extend outdoor dining
The City of Hobart wants to support business as they move along the Roadmap for a COVID-safe Tasmania, and that includes complying with the physical distancing requirements and occupations limits. To do this, the City of Hobart has a process where operators can apply to amend their existing permits, or apply for a new permit, to occupy a public space within the Hobart Municipal area, where possible, to give them more space to trade.
Fees associated with this permit are waived until 30 June 2020. Evaluation of amended permits for businesses is ongoing and will continue to be reviewed while restrictions are in place for Covid-19. Any permit granted will be reviewed at the end of September 2020, or as determined by the General Manager.
More information and application form
Financial Hardship Assistance Policy
Council has adopted a Financial Hardship Assistance Policy(PDF, 963KB) to provide assistance to ratepayers suffering financial hardship by providing an appropriate level of relief from rates.
Community Support Package
Further support is available to the Hobart ratepayers and businesses via a Community Support Package. This includes:
- Interest and penalties will be deferred for ratepayers having difficulty paying the fourth instalment of rates payments for the 2019-20 financial year.
- Council has adopted a Financial Hardship Assistance Policy(PDF, 952KB) to provide assistance to ratepayers suffering financial hardship by providing an appropriate level of relief from rates.
- A freeze on general rates and most fees and charges for the 2020-21 financial year.
- Rent relief for tenants of City-owned premises who are experiencing hardship.
- Waiving of fees such as for outdoor dining and food licences.
- Establishment of an online store to support Salamanca Market stallholders.
- A strengthened commitment to local procurement.