Occupation licences

An occupation licence is the type of licence businesses need if they want to use the footpaths outside their shops. There are two types of licence.

Occupation licence (outdoor dining)

Occupation licences may be issued to restaurant owners and operators to place tables, chairs, umbrellas and other furniture used for outdoor dining. There are minimum dimensions that must be maintained so that pedestrians can easily move along a footpath, and other conditions and fees apply.

Occupation licence (other than outdoor dining)

Occupation licences are also issued to display goods for sale on footpaths in front of existing shops.

In limited circumstances, where there is no adverse effect on the public, occupation licences may also be issued to residents and other property owners to enable them to occupy part of a highway reservation.

Fees and conditions apply. 


For both types of occupation licence, please see the Information sheet and application form(DOC, 131KB)

For enquiries, phone 03 6238 2970 or email coh@hobartcity.com.au.