The Queen's Domain has belonged to the people of Hobart since 1860.
Its slopes contain the last remnant of Hobart's original endemic grassland, home to a variety of native birds, including eastern rosella, grey-breated silvereye and yellow wattle bird.
Aboriginal middens have been found on the Domain, giving evidence of human habitation long before the first European colonists arrived in 1803.
Since then, the Domain has had a variety of uses, from the 1841 construction of the Queens Battery (near today's Cenotaph), built to defend Hobart from attack by sea, to the 1997 opening of the The Hobart Aquatic Centre.
In 1894-1895 an impressive Italian Renaissance-style building in the same area hosted the Tasmanian International Exhibition. Anti-conscription rallies were held there during the early years of World War I, and after the war, a tent city for the homeless sprang up there.
The Domain is the site for a range of sporting venues - cricket, football, tennis, athletics and swimming all have facilities within walking distance of the city.
Thylacines Final Home
The last Tasmanian Tiger died in 1936 at Beaumaris Zoo, which once stood on Lower Domain Road, opposite Government House. The Zoo closed in 1937.
USS Enterprise and USS Missouri Monuments
The Queens Domain is home to two important commemorative plaques and plantings recognising the significance of the Australian – American alliance.
Adjacent the gravel pathway between Carriage Drive and the Royal Tasmanian Botanical Gardens, the plaques and memorial trees commemorate the visit to Hobart by the USS Enterprise (1976) and the USS Missouri (1986).
In 1976, men from the USS Enterprise, along with students from Campbell Street Primary School, planted 52 trees native to North America on the Queens Domain. A commemorative plaque was installed, and a Magnolia tree was also planted to recognise the bond between US and Australian servicemen.
In 1986, Captain J. A Carney USN, commanding officer of the USS Missouri, unveiled a commemorative plaque and planted an oak tree as part of the Royal Australian Navy’s 75th anniversary celebrations