Green Waste Collection
The next Hobart City Council green waste collection will occur during the week of 11 to 15 November 2013*.
The maximum amount of green waste that will be collected from each residence is 2m3 (i.e. 2m x 1m x 1m). Amounts greater than this will not be collected.
* This date may be subject to change. Please refer to public notice advertisements closer to the date, or check this website for updates.
What will be collected
- Bundles of tree and shrub prunings tied with biodegradable string. For safety reasons, individual green waste pieces should be no longer than 1.5m long and 10cm or less in diameter.
- Leaves, grass and small prunings may be placed into hard plastic containers similar in size to your old 50 litre recycling crate. The plastic containers/crates will be returned kerbside after emptying.
The Hobart City Council requests that bundles be tied with biodegradable string. While most of this string is removed by collection personnel, a small amount inevitably remains. These pieces of string contaminate stockpiles which can result in a lower quality end use product. The Council therefore asks that residents use biodegradable string to tie off bundles for the next green waste collection.
What will not be collected
- Green waste in plastic bags or cardboard boxes
- Any general rubbish
- Green waste in excess of the 2m3 limit
Green waste contaminated with general rubbish or plastic cannot be composted and will not be collected. This includes any green waste placed in plastic bags.
When to put out your clippings
Please place material out the night before your normal collection day during the week of 15 to 19 April 2013, as you would with recycling and general waste.
Other green waste disposal options
Residents also have the option to take their green waste to McRobies Waste Management Centre for drop off at a cheaper rate than general mixed rates. Please refer to the current Council Fees & Charges.
Council also offers free entry weekends for green waste for residents to take their green waste to McRobies Waste Management Centre. The scheduled dates are available on the Free Entry Weekend web page.
Mulch products for sale
The Council will process garden prunings into compost and mulch products that are available for sale on site at McRobies Gully Waste Management Centre, or order by calling 0408 396 322.
Fire abatement green waste disposal assistance
The Hobart City Council will continue with an initiative to assist residents in preparing their properties for the bushfire season. Residents will be allowed to dispose of clean green waste to the McRobies Gully Waste Management Centre free of charge on certain weekends over summer. The next scheduled weekend for this service is 14 and 15 December 2013.
For any further information relating to these services please contact the Council on (03) 6238 2900.