A-Z | Site map

Place of Assembly

Place of Assembly Licences

What class of place requires a Place of Assembly licence?

Any ‘mass outdoor public event’ requires a Place of Assembly licence:

  • mass’ means 1000 people or more, present for two hours or more.
  • public event’ includes, but is not limited to, any performance, exhibition, circus, festival, food festival, pageant, regatta, sports event, dance or publicly advertised lecture.

Who needs a Place of Assembly Licence?


Any person who wishes to:

  • operate, use or manage a place as a Place of Assembly; or
  • conduct any entertainment at a Place of Assembly; or
  • lease or offer for lease a place as a Place of Assembly,

needs to apply for a Place of Assembly Licence. This licence will be issued for the duration of the public event at the nominated location.

Where can I obtain the appropriate application form?

The application form to apply for a Place of Assembly Licence is available via the link.

What information should I provide in support of my licence application?

You should provide the following information:

  • Maximum number of persons attending at any given time
  • Number of male and female toilets
  • Evacuation Plan acceptable to Tas Fire Service
  • Event Site Plan
  • Event Program (if available)
  • Smoke Free Management Plan (Approved by DHHS, see below for further information)
  • Copies of Temporary Occupancy Permits for any temporary structures such as stages, tents, marquees, tiered seating etc

What is the cost of a Licence?

New applications for Place of Assembly applications incur a fee. Please refer to City of Hobart's Fees and Charges booklet, or for further information please contact the Environmental Health Unit

What are the fee payment methods?

The Council offers a number of payment options, listed below. Note: No other payment methods will be accepted.

Payment by Phone Payment in Person Payment by Mail


Credit card payment can be made via phone by calling (03) 6238 2190.


Upon payment please email your completed application form to:




Payment can be made in person at the Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, Hobart.


Business hours are 8.15am - 5.15pm Monday - Friday.




Cheques or money orders should be made payable to City of Hobart. Post dated cheques will not be accepted.


Mail payment together with application form to:


The General Manager

City of Hobart

GPO Box 503

Hobart 7001

What if there are food and drink stalls?

All food and alcohol outlets must be registered with the Council, this is done through an online application form known as a Temporary Food Business Registration.

Is overcrowding an offence?

Yes, the licensee can be subject to an on the spot fine or court action. An authorised officer can also cancel the event and evacuate the place in the interests of public health should numbers exceed allowable occupancy limits.

What happens if I operate without a Licence?

You can be liable for an infringement notice or prosecution.

What about Smoke Free Public Events?

To assist you in managing your public smoke free event the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) provides a range or resources including signage and smoke free event management plan templates. Visit their website for more information www.dhhs.tas.gov.au.

Under the Public Health Act 1997, the Director of Public Health has the authority to designate classes of public events as smoke-free. A list of these events can also be found on the DHHS website www.dhhs.tas.gov.au.

Any further queries?

Please contact an Environmental Health Officer at the City of Hobart on phone (03) 6238 2715 or by emailing coh@hobartcity.com.au

Customer Service Centre

16 Elizabeth St, Hobart
Office Hours: Mon–Fri 8.15am–5.15pm
Telephone (03) 6238 2711
Email coh@hobartcity.com.au

Postal address

Town Hall, Macquarie St
GPO Box 503
Hobart Tasmania 7001