A-Z | Site map

Place of Assembly

Place of Assembly Licences

What is a Place of Assembly?

The Public Health Act 1997 defines a Place of Assembly as:

  • any place or area used for the entertainment of members of the public;
  • any place or area used for the assembly of members of the public for social and recreational purposes;
  • any school or other place or area used for community or public purposes.

Who needs a Place of Assembly Licence?

Any person who wishes to:

  • operate, use or manage a place as a Place of Assembly; or
  • conduct any entertainment at a Place of Assembly; or
  • lease or offer for lease a place as a Place of Assembly.

What types of Licences are there?

There are two types of licenses:

  • General Purpose (Permanent Place of Assembly) which is issued for 12 months to permanent places of assembly and is renewable each year.
  • Specific Event (Temporary Place of Assembly) which is issued for the duration of a public event at venues not usually licensed as places of assembly. Every separate event needs a separate licence.

Licence Renewal Information

The Public Health Act 1997 requires the holder of place of assembly licence to renew their licence annually. The Council requires payment of your application fee when you lodge your completed renewal. Please note that Council will not be able to process your renewal unless you have lodged both your completed application and and paid the renewal fee.

Place of Assembly Licence Renewal Payments

The Council offers a number of payment options.

Please quote your Public Assembly Reference Number (PA number) when making payment.

Note: No other payment method will be accepted.

Payment by Phone Payment in Person Payment by Mail

Credit card payment can be made via phone by calling (03) 6238 2190.


Upon payment please email your completed application form to:



Payment can be made in person at the Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, Hobart.


Business hours are 8.15am - 5.15pm Monday - Friday.


Eftpos and credit card facilities are available.

Cheques or money orders should be made payable to City of Hobart. Post dated cheques will not be accepted.


Mail payment together with application form to:


The General Manager,

City of Hobart,

GPO Box 503, Hobart, 7001.

What is the cost of a Licence?

New applications for both Temporary Place of Assembly and Permanent Place of Assembly applications incur a fee. Please contact the Environmental Health Unit for further information or refer to City of Hobart's Fees and Charges booklet.

Do I need any information to support my Licence application?

Yes, both permanent and temporary structures (tents, etc) need to be suitable for use as a Place of Assembly.

For permanent structures all new applications must be supported by:

Buildings constructed since 1994 - Either a Certificate of Occupancy or an Occupancy Permit issued by a building surveyor.

Buildings constructed before 1994 - An Occupancy permit issued by a building surveyor, at a venue that requires a Place of Assembly Licence.

If more than 200 persons can be accommodated an evacuation plan which is acceptable to the Tasmania Fire Service is required.

For temporary structures (tents, stages etc), a Certificate of Likely Compliance issued by a building surveyor is required which will address compliance of the temporary structure with the requirements for temporary structures contained in the Guidelines.

Where can I obtain the appropriate application forms?

Click on this link for the Permanent Place of Assembly Licence Application, and the Temporary Place of Assembly Licence application form is available here. Both application forms may also be obtained from the City of Hobart's Customer Service Centre, 16 Elizabeth Street, Hobart. Contact can also be made with an Environmental Health Officer on (03) 6238 2715.

Is overcrowding an offence?

Yes, the licensee can be subject to an on the spot fine or court action. An authorised officer can also cancel the event and evacuate the premises in the interests of public health should numbers exceed allowable occupancy limits.

What happens if I operate without a Licence?

You can be liable for an infringement notice or prosecution.

Are there any guidelines I should be aware of?

Yes, the Guidelines for Places of Assembly 2008 are found in the Public Health Act 1997.

For specific events - Temporary Place of Assembly - further information can be found here.

What about Smoke Free Public Events?

To assist you in managing your public smoke free event the Department of Health and Human Services (DHHS) provides a range or resources including signage and smoke free event management plan templates. Visit their website for more information www.dhhs.tas.gov.au.

Under the Public Health Act 1997, the Director of Public Health has the authority to designate classes of public events as smoke-free. A list of these events can also be found on the DHHS website www.dhhs.tas.gov.au.

Any enquiries?

Please contact an Environmental Health Officer at the City of Hobart on phone (03) 6238 2715.

Customer Service Centre

16 Elizabeth St, Hobart
Office Hours: Mon–Fri 8.15am–5.15pm
Telephone (03) 6238 2711
Email hcc@hobartcity.com.au

Postal address

Town Hall, Macquarie St
GPO Box 503
Hobart Tasmania 7001