Being a responsible dog owner is easy! Make sure your dog can be identified with a collar, Council registration tag and microchip.
Treating your dog and other people with care and consideration will lead to a happier life for you, your dog and your neighbours. Being a responsible pet owner is knowing what your pet wants and needs and knowing your responsibilities as a dog owner.
Below are a few hints on how to be a responsible dog owner:
- Make sure your dog is registered with Council so it can be identified if it becomes lost;
- Keep your dog in your yard with secure fencing;
- Consider desexing your pet if they are not going to be used for breeding purposes;
- Always keep your dog on a lead in public, unless in a off lead area;
- Always clean up after your dog;
- Keep your dog under effective control when in public and in off lead areas;
- Consider taking your dog to obedience training;
- Provide your dog with regular healthcare;
- Ensure you provide a healthy, balanced diet with cool, clean water available at all times.