A-Z | Site map



If you are contemplating any change or alteration to your home or property (including the alteration or extension of a building, addition of outbuildings, change of use or nature of use, erection of a sign or subdivision of your property), then a most important step in the process is to find out whether your proposal requires council planning, building and plumbing approval prior to the commencement of works.

Preliminary information on these matters is available within this key area and importantly the key contacts should you require more in depth detail on these issues.

You will also find information relating to the cities two planning schemes, as well as Advertised Applications and Amendments to Planning Permits.




In this section you will find application forms, answers to the most frequently asked questions as well as links to the Building Act 2016 and the Building Regulations 2016.



BuildingEngineering Standards and Guidelines
In this section you will find links to information on the standard of engineering plans that are required to be submitted for approval of subdivision works, information required for subdivision proposals, access and driveway requirements, and other relevant information.



In this section you will find applications forms, answers to the most frequently asked questions as well as links to the Building Regulations 2016.



solarpanel120X120.jpgEnergy Efficiency Design Guidelines

This section has information that can be used to help increase the energy efficiency of developments and can be used by anyone designing a building or renovating a house it includes:
 - Energy Efficiency Design Guidelines: produced by the City of Hobart
 - Design Series for Homes in a Cool Temperate Climate
 - Natural Gas Rebate

Customer Service Centre

16 Elizabeth St, Hobart
Office Hours: Mon–Fri 8.15am–5.15pm
Telephone (03) 6238 2711
Email coh@hobartcity.com.au

Postal address

Town Hall, Macquarie St
GPO Box 503
Hobart Tasmania 7001